Not Your Father's Root Beer

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Damn. 5.9%. Tastes very, very close to real root beer. I shit you not. I think I had a similar brew that was closer to 9-10% ABV. Second-most dangerous form of liquor I've encountered (the most dangerous is a binary effort between myself and an associate's white whiskey). You could down six of them and not have any problems until well past the point of no return.

Edited By Malcolm on 1433361615
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Hmmm. I wonder what the defining characteristic of that recipe would be... I wonder if it would be as simple as a shitload of sugar, the rootbeer extract, and ale yeast, and let it ferment for 2 weeks.

I'd like to try it.

I had a Atwater Vanilla Coffee Porter for lunch. It tasted exactly like I expected.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

You need vanilla. Probably also artificial flavour.

Edited By Malcolm on 1433365700
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:You need vanilla.
For homemade rootbeer? Yeah, and sassafras, and other stuff, but sassafras by itself is carcinogenic and fuck that. I'll just fake it with rootbeer extract.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:
Malcolm wrote:You need vanilla.

For homemade rootbeer? Yeah, and sassafras, and other stuff, but sassafras by itself is carcinogenic and fuck that. I'll just fake it with rootbeer extract.

Not root beer. Root beer flavoured beer.

Edited By Malcolm on 1433365831
Malcolm

Re: Not Your Father's Root Beer

Post by Malcolm »

A couple years ago, I was speculating on this shit and when it was going to happen. At least it's Vegas. Cue the overreaction:
That's when his mom's fiance started taking a closer look at the bottle's label and noticed it was an alcoholic root beer.

"He was really freaked out," said mom Adriana Schwab. "He asked me, am I going to die?"

Tyler has a heart defect and is on ADD medication, KTNV reported.

The server and manager came over and apologized, but Schwab isn't satisfied.
I'm betting it was something like this.
Alhazad

Post by Alhazad »

Malcolm wrote:A couple years ago, I was speculating on this shit and when it was going to happen. At least it's Vegas. Cue the overreaction:
That's when his mom's fiance started taking a closer look at the bottle's label and noticed it was an alcoholic root beer.

"He was really freaked out," said mom Adriana Schwab. "He asked me, am I going to die?"

Tyler has a heart defect and is on ADD medication, KTNV reported.

The server and manager came over and apologized, but Schwab isn't satisfied.
I'm betting it was something like this.
Doesn't this corny shit happen in schlock comedies with Long Island Iced Tea all the time? Life imitates non-art.

Regardless, read the labels on what you put in your body, dumb fuck. Case dismissed.
We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That's good stuff. I was told about it over the winter and have a single bottle left in my fridge right now.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”