new desktop

For sooper seekrit League of Legends, <s>UO</s> <s>EVE</s> talk <s>and Diplomacy</s>.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The Turtle Beach Tourney Z Seven still sounds amazing. Then again, I have no wives, kids, pets, etc. to fuck it up. Lives in its plastic case unless I'm using it.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Got around to installing Office Pro 2013. For free of course.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I'm sure this'll light up a previously dead forum...

Had my first worrisome blue screen today. Couldn't even manage the error output. Hard boot once, works good again.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Maybe a rogue neutron flipped the right bit to lock everything up.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Going to look into getting backup images for SSDs running to the HDD on a regularly scheduled basis. Should be brainless enough if any command line tool exists to create an image.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I'm glad every day that I got a case with a strategically placed handle on top. Sublime design brilliance. In other news, thinking about a UPS since it's the dead of power-sucking summer.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

A $150+ UPS can pay for itself many times over in one thunderstorm.

I have the same style as the one you linked. I like that it shows me my current power load vs. what it can handle on the display.

Edited By GORDON on 1436911942
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

This one's got an acceptable wattage and capacitance. I got surge protectors on all (eh, maybe most) of my power strips, but that doesn't mean anything to the SSDs that get cut off mid-write.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:I'm glad every day that I got a case with a strategically placed handle on top. Sublime design brilliance. In other news, thinking about a UPS since it's the dead of power-sucking summer.
I use UPSes on both servers.

I assume the handle comment = sarcasm?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

No. It's actually a great feature. My tower sits on a couple stones slabs on top of carpet to give it some exhaust room (PS is in extreme bottom bay). If I need to vacuum or rearrange the setup or whatever, the handle kicks ass. Saw a case on NewEgg yesterday on special. Looks like the one I got, $25 cheaper, minus the handle. I'll still take mine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

If you have amazon prime, this is going on sale in about 10 minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp....16ad331
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Wtf happened to Amazon? I can't find any specs on that item anywhere on that page. NewEgg has the voltage, capacitance, and weight on the one I bought. $105, free shipping, and it's not wait listed.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Actually, I am getting a little tired of amazon putting small quantities of things for sale at the good price. This is the fucking internet, you can make the sale and drop ship it and for the customer is seemless. If I wanted to compete with a thousand people for 5 TV s I'd go to Walmart on black Friday. Amazon is being just like every other sales trickster any more, and now they're charging me sales tax on top of it.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I'd never heard of Prime Day until maybe 24-48 hours ago. Or if I had, I'd buried it in my subconscious. My initial guess was a Transformers-themed holiday.

Edited By Malcolm on 1436985852
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:Actually, I am getting a little tired of amazon putting small quantities of things for sale at the good price. This is the fucking internet, you can make the sale and drop ship it and for the customer is seemless. If I wanted to compete with a thousand people for 5 TV s I'd go to Walmart on black Friday. Amazon is being just like every other sales trickster any more, and now they're charging me sales tax on top of it.
I bought 2 Fire TV Sticks and a power washer.

One the one hand, I saved some $, on the other hand, I probably wouldn't have bought those items at higher prices.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

The thing that drove me crazy is that the display of the items is AWFUL. It's impossible to find what deals are good, or when they'll show up.

Ain't nobody got time for that.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Lots of people were unimpressed by this event, which they are calling amazon's "garage sale."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:Lots of people were unimpressed by this event, which they are calling amazon's "garage sale."
Well, I expect that from the whininess that people feel entitled to on the Internet. It's like if they didnt get a free TV, who cares? Bah. Fuck those people.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

One complaint I have seen is that people see a sale item they want, go sign up for Prime, then go to buy the item and it is already sold out.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Here's a CNN article with lots of Twitter screenshots.

http://money.cnn.com/2015....ex.html