ArcheAge - Formerly: "So I've been playing..."

For sooper seekrit League of Legends, <s>UO</s> <s>EVE</s> talk <s>and Diplomacy</s>.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

So, yours does not look like this?

I went to the website first, clicked Store, and then clicked ArcheAge. I'm 90% sure it asked me to download something at that point.

Then, I opened the EXE that installed (Glyph), and then got the image above, where I then had to download the actual game.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

No, instead I have "All Games" where you have ArcheAge.

So far, I'm unimpressed. Even if this all worked smoothly, an installer? Really?

And their library of games does not bode well.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

i just got an email to be invited to join in the beta, i think this was from just signing up on the web page and not through Zam. Anyways, these are the instructions, i'll try them out when i get home.

Congratulations, you’ve been invited to our third ArcheAge Closed Beta Event!

The adventure begins at 10:00 AM PDT (GMT-7) on Thursday, August 14 and runs through 10:00 AM PDT (GMT-7) on Monday, August 18. Prepare today by downloading the game and catching up with our latest news, FAQ, Founder’s Packs, and forums.

Join us in-game on Thursday for a journey through ArcheAge with no NDA. (Really! Streaming, screenshots, and videos are all good by us.) This is a game focused on the stories you will tell. We can’t wait to see what you’ll do, where you’ll go, and what you’ll like best.

BEGIN YOUR ADVENTURE
1. Get Glyph, the desktop launcher for ArcheAge:
If you don’t already have Glyph, you can download it now. Click “INSTALL GLYPH” at the top of the page and run the installer after it downloads.
2. Install ArcheAge Beta:
Launch Glyph, log in, and choose ArcheAge from your "LIBRARY" tab. Select "Beta" from the drop-down box in the top-right corner and click the "INSTALL" button.
3. Play ArcheAge:
To play during a Closed Beta Event, just launch Glyph, choose ArcheAge Beta, and click “PLAY” (or “UPDATE” to patch). Note: You can save time by installing ArcheAge before your Closed Beta Event begins!
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, i didn't read any instructions, but that's what I did.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post by Troy »

ArcheAge's third Closed Beta Event[www.archeagegame.com] begins this week, starting Thursday, August 14 at 10:00 AM PDT (GMT-7) and running until the same time on Monday, August 18! Players who participated in CBE2 will not need to redownload the entire game client, only an incremental patch to Build 4.5[forums.archeagegame.com] which will be on our Alpha servers tomorrow.

There will not be a wipe before CBE3 begins: all characters and their progress will be retained from CBE2. Your timers on crops and taxes are set to pick up right where they left off at the end of the last event. It's important to note that invites to CBE2 will not be valid for CBE3, but we are expecting that this event will be four times the size of the first with lots more partner site giveaways and randomly-selected invitations *snip website list*

To prepare for the increased population, we've added three servers for CBE3! The Auction House is shared regionally, meaning item listings from any server will be accessible by all servers in that region. Also, the Alpha servers will be live during this event.

North America
Aranzeb
Naima
Kyrios
Ollo
Tahyang (NEW)
Salphira (NEW)

I was on Ollo last time. It wasn't Great Lakes UO full, but there was plenty of half built houses around in the area I started in.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

no problems installing for me.. I'll give it a shot this weekend
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Got it. Apparently, while I had the invite and code it didn't give me the game until I got the email invite.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I'm kinda surprised that you are interested in this game Leisher. I know in the past you have said you weren't going to get into any MMO because of the timesink and grind involved in those games and also that none of them would even compare to UO.

I know i have always wanted to play an MMO with a group of friends because i never played UO or WOW, but i did play Guild Wars 1 and really wanted to get into GW2 but noone seemed in the slightest interested.

So what changed your mind on the MMO? i know this one looks to be a little different, but make no mistake, its an MMO. I'm rather excited that there might be some people interested in getting into an MMO around here cause i've long wanted to get into one with others. And between LOL and an MMO my gaming life would be set for a long time to come.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote:I'm kinda surprised that you are interested in this game Leisher. I know in the past you have said you weren't going to get into any MMO because of the timesink and grind involved in those games and also that none of them would even compare to UO.

I know i have always wanted to play an MMO with a group of friends because i never played UO or WOW, but i did play Guild Wars 1 and really wanted to get into GW2 but noone seemed in the slightest interested.

So what changed your mind on the MMO? i know this one looks to be a little different, but make no mistake, its an MMO. I'm rather excited that there might be some people interested in getting into an MMO around here cause i've long wanted to get into one with others. And between LOL and an MMO my gaming life would be set for a long time to come.

I didn't swear off MMOs, I said they all sucked and they'd never live up to UO. The thing I swore off was time sinks. MMOs take a lot of time, but they're not necessarily time sinks.

(I'm going to avoid going into the "time sink" explanation because it's whole different discussion and I could see it evolving into a debate/discussion/argument about the merits of various games.)

Troy played UO, and some of the elements he described make ArcheAge sound like it's somewhat similar to UO. Thus, it's worth a shot.

The biggest problem with MMOs since UO is that none of them could match the "Wild West" feel of UO. They were all so heavily nerfed that there wasn't any consequences for your actions. PvP was more for show.

To put it in layman's terms, picture every NFL game being an exhibition game, and thus, not counting. That's what PvP without consequences is like.

I really wish you had been around for the UO days because they were pretty awesome. The cities were safe zones, but outside of them the legal system was run by the players. You had PKs and Anti-PKs. You had folks building and running their own towns. You had exploiters. There were folks who just wanted to mine or resource farm. Some were PvE dungeon crawlers. The admins would randomly drop events like armies of orcs. People owned houses, built goods, and ran their own stores.

UO gave everyone the opportunity to play their own style of game.

Then the RPers started fucking folks on the development team (true story) and things started going downhill...

Meanwhile everyone else who came along tried to get the formula right, but failed in the design. (Yes, WoW had great success, but it was because they tapped into the casual crowd, not because their game was the greatest.) They failed because they all took the same approach that sunk UO: "Make everyone happy...except the person who wins the PvP fight."

What they didn't realize is that in UO, you could have wars and legit wear down your enemies. Constant battles could see them losing skill points, weapons, armor, resources, etc.

Then someone in a suit said, "Hey! We can't have paying customers lose their in game items or they'll quit!"

So yeah, everything since has sucked with a few exceptions. Eve Online is basically UO in space, but lacks fun. The closest thing, imho, to UO is Rust. No, it may not technically qualify as an MMO (does the 500 player server count?), but everything is a free for all. It's that same feel that UO had. The problem with Rust is that it was a concept game, and everything was played in a very small area. Give it another year of development and Rust might be what we're all playing full time.

If ArcheAge (which is a terrible name) can capture some of that magic, great. It's a free beta this weekend, so why not give it a try?

Edited By Leisher on 1407941942
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

No looting. Minus one billion points. Everything else, plus 5 points.

I've never considered Guild Wars to be an MMO. It's more of an arena combat game. If you are removing all the other players when you leave town, then what's the point of it being MM? If we are going to do 'instanced' adventures, I'd rather play Boarderlands, Torchlight, etc.

And ya, Rust is an MMO. Or rather, an mMO. A small m for the small population. But as stated, it's in alpha/beta.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

No looting. Minus one billion points.

I thought Troy said there was a way to loot?

If attrition doesn't factor into the game, this will be a very short play test.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:
No looting. Minus one billion points.

I thought Troy said there was a way to loot?

If attrition doesn't factor into the game, this will be a very short play test.

Nope. This is something i'm concerned about too. Could wind up being dead in the water because of it.

If you blow up someones boat - you get to loot the wreckage, if you kill someone holding a tradepack - you can take it, but killing a person doesn't drop anything, as far as I know.

Edited By Troy on 1407951834
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I guess the beta starts today, i was thinking it was tmrow. I might be on to check it out later if i can.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Troy

Post by Troy »

I should get some playtime in after work today. Won't be able to do much over the weekend proper.

e: The game is still very pretty and fluid, I made some money butchering the pigs I pastured last time. Reinvested in turkeys. The game's story seems rather bleh, but I haven't been giving it too much of a chance and have fast forwarded big time.

Edited By Troy on 1408073963
Troy

Post by Troy »

Wandered around and chopped wild trees. 71 logs collected - go me. Then the game crashed and now i have to re-download the whole thing. Mildly successful first day.

Edited By Troy on 1408073567
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I also had a problem with loading the game. The first time i got a message that the file was corrupt as soon as the download was finished, i thought oh shit, this ain't gonna work. Well i would get an error 1005 code upon trying to start it everytime, so i decided to uninstall and reinstall all 23 GB again.

I let that download last night when i was planning on playing and checked it again this morning before i got to work. Now i get a "failed to load game data" message when the Archeage graphic comes up. This is bullshit! i was checking the forums a little bit this morning and i guess tons of people are having this problem. I tried running in administrator mode and turning off my antivirus like some people suggested in the forums, but i had no luck.

And now that i see Troy is having a problem, well i'm guessing its something more and its something on thier end. They need to patch something up because right now it looks like they got a serious issue on thier hands.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

https://support.trionworlds.com/app/hackshield/p/3640

putting this link here for some possible fixes that the devs have posted. I noticed some sort of "hackshield" logo popping up when i tried running it so maybe the problem exists there, but who knows! I find it bullshit that they can't fix it on thier end and make everyone jump through hoops just to start playing the game. That should be the easiest part of game, it is the most important!
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Troy

Post by Troy »

/Agreed

Gonna leave it to re-download during work I suppose. Lame-o.

The servers were clearly getting hammered, though. Half of them were in "cue" each time I logged on before it crashed on me. Others were "high pop"

Edited By Troy on 1408113308
Troy

Post by Troy »

Looks like it re-downloaded successfully overnight+work.

butchering mah turkeys during lunch: Image

I like that you get XP for using labor and crafting. You can pretty much ignore quests as long as you do other stuff.

Edited By Troy on 1408126584
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Well we all want our livestock to grow fasters and strongers, I think.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."