new desktop

For sooper seekrit League of Legends, <s>UO</s> <s>EVE</s> talk <s>and Diplomacy</s>.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Even better, turns out that the tracking info isn't updated in real time. Was delivered at 1030 am today. I wasn't notified of that until after 2pm. Double fuck you, Fed Ex.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Second SSD in. Going to try to get some serious Thief time in this weekend. Also BL2. I hear shit's changed.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Desktop moved to the corner of the living room right next to the A/C unit, with the TV in my left peripheral vision. Window to my right and a spot to put a box fan on the left for a solid crossbreeze during the shittily warm and humid summer. Got the big-ass tower on the floor now, textbooks standing in for a flat surface until I get a low-riding 2' x 1' table or ~0.5 thick slab of rock. After that, it's subwoofer and surround sound hunting time to go with this motherfucker that came in last week. Probably need to grab a receiver for different speaker configs between desktop and TV. The desk fits in the corner of the room unbelievably well, with just enough room between it and the couch.

Edited By Malcolm on 1401683669
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Additionally, GeForce's website was cool about me giving me a code for Daylight, despite it being a day past the expiration date on the scratch-off that came with the vid card.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Two more rebate cards arrived this week. One from the CM case (which was the first I sent away for) and one from the Creative sound card, which was bought weeks after any other component. Two cards still due from Asus for my dual monitors.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Speaking of monitors, I got one of these for work the other day.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Didn't spring for the 65-inch?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Work paid for it.... so, no.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Alrighty, it's headphone time. Thinking this.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:Alrighty, it's headphone time. Thinking this.
Mine never seem to last, high end or low end. I don't buy high-end ones any more.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

How long? 1 year warranty on these.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've been through 5 or 6 headsets in 10 years. Maybe 15 years.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:I've been through 5 or 6 headsets in 10 years. Maybe 15 years.
I got no kids or pets to destroy them. Or are you talking normal wear and tear?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Malcolm wrote:Alrighty, it's headphone time. Thinking this.
After reading a few reviews, back to the drawing board. Going to check some sites tonight.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:
Normal wear and tear. And the couple times I have taken them apart to see wtf, it was stuff like solder disintegrating where all the wires come together in one of the ear pieces. Nothing that can get bumped, and not even normal wire movement. That shit is in there where it doesn't move, and disintegrates anyway.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

New Egg, you bastards. 480GB SSD for $180.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Normal wear and tear. And the couple times I have taken them apart to see wtf, it was stuff like solder disintegrating where all the wires come together in one of the ear pieces. Nothing that can get bumped, and not even normal wire movement. That shit is in there where it doesn't move, and disintegrates anyway.

We can send shit to the moon or the bottom of the ocean, but durable, quality headphones are out of reach? If it isn't anything electrical, perhaps there's some segment of electronics audiophile repair nerds that knows more.

Edited By Malcolm on 1404406125
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Asus is being a complete dick about my monitor rebates, which would be the only two I'm missing.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:
GORDON wrote:
Malcolm wrote: I got no kids or pets to destroy them. Or are you talking normal wear and tear?
We can send shit to the moon or the bottom of the ocean, but durable, quality headphones are out of reach? If it isn't anything electrical, perhaps there's some segment of electronics audiophile repair nerds that knows more.
if I knew where all the wires were supposed to go, it might have been repairable. But you end up with 2-4 unattached wires and a mini circuit board and chinese solder dust all in the space of a tiny headphone can. Or whatever it is called.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

ANy more I am not going to waste a lot of time researching headphones, I just grab a Turtle Bay in the neighborhood of $70 and figure I am good. The more time you spend researching the more expensive they are, in the end. They will last 18 months or so, just out of warranty, then you can get another.