Akira - Formerly: "This had better not suck"

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Akira - Live action

Seriously, how can anyone argue that Hollywood is still creative? EVERYTHING is either a remake or based on a comic.

That being said, I hold out hope that this will be good.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Dunno. If this gets Americanized, I can see casting & writing ruin this.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm, I swear that I originally included a line in my post saying "I'll be hopeful that this won't suck, but I'll let Malcolm speak about the more than likely chance it'll suck."

I know its going to suck, but I didn't want to say it.

Edited By Leisher on 1210273293
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

This flick was aired recently on [Adult Swim]'s Saturday anime night "Toonami," which I usually don't watch, but I happened to see it scheduled so I DVRd it. It was my first viewing.

It was... interesting. Still not sure what I thought, or even what I saw. Some kid turned psychic and "nuked" Tokyo, and 30ish years later Tokyo is rebuilt but now more psychic kids are popping up? Or something?

Edited By GORDON on 1394653991
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

It's not the easiest thing to pick up on.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Vince

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote:It was... interesting. Still not sure what I thought, or even what I saw. Some kid turned psychic and "nuked" Tokyo, and 30ish years later Tokyo is rebuilt but now more psychic kids are popping up? Or something?
I think that's required before it's Japanese Anime. That was my feelings about Vampire Hunter D or whatever it was called. Really cool idea. with some really bizarre ass weird shit to really pull you out of those feelings of "this is pretty cool".

Again... we either nuked them too much or not enough.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I just read the wikipedia summary of the movie, and yeah, that's pretty much how I saw it. Just seems so............ unusual for a popular animated movie.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

I wonder if the niche group for anime is the 420 crowd? When I saw Vampire Hunter D I was still drinking and it seemed a lot less weird than when I watched it after I got sober.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Vince wrote:I wonder if the niche group for anime is the 420 crowd? When I saw Vampire Hunter D I was still drinking and it seemed a lot less weird than when I watched it after I got sober.

There are couple ways to answer this.

1) It is no mistake that the Toonami block airs on Adult Swim, which is Stoner TV.

2) I've known some huge anime freaks that are, have been, and probably always will be clean and sober.

It's a mix of the artistic style, the frequently heavily Eastern themed plots, and several other things. Being intoxicated is most likely helping your brain get past whatever logical/aesthetic bullshit it'd typically get hung up on while trying to enjoy a story. Kind of like how writers get fucked up so they can ignore all the plot holes they introduce into movies.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Malcolm wrote:It's a mix of the artistic style, the frequently heavily Eastern themed plots, and several other things. Being intoxicated is most likely helping your brain get past whatever logical/aesthetic bullshit it'd typically get hung up on while trying to enjoy a story. Kind of like how writers get fucked up so they can ignore all the plot holes they introduce into movies.
I can see that. The Vampire Hunter D sidekick face in his hand with it's own personality and consciousness was somewhat quirky when I was drunk, and almost too damn weird to get beyond when I was sober.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Try looking at some impressionist images while you're wasted and squinting and you'll get an idea of what the painter was thinking. Drugs of any kind and art simply go together.
You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years were rrreal [sic] fucking high on drugs. The Beatles were so fucking high they let Ringo sing a few tunes.

- Bill Hicks

Edited By Malcolm on 1394660331
Leisher
Site Admin

Akira - Formerly:

Post by Leisher »