The Butterfly Effect - *Minor Spoilers*

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I would recommend that if you plan on seeing this film no matter what I type here, that you only read the next sentence and the last one.

Honestly, it didn't suck.

Ashton Kutcher, the guy that's allegedly banging Demi Moore, stars as the son of a "scientist" who learns of his father's secrets.

I'm keeping the spoilers to very minor, but the next one you may or may not know based on the trailers, so I'll write it backwards:

.tsap eht egnahc ot emit ni kcab levart ot snrael eH

This discovery, combined with the type of childhood and friends Ashton had, he has some moral questions to face as those of you who read the spoiler can assume.

He goes throught he typical stages one would when given this type of gift, however as expected, eventually he is faced with a crisis he created and must solve.

The whole premise is well done, but left me wanting more. I'd say normally that's a good thing, but in this case, I believe this film could have been a lot deeper. For example, let's just say the consequences of his actions were a little too limited.

The acting was surprisingly good. Seriously. He isn't going to win any oscars, but Ashton pulls this off. Its funny, but the time he seems most "out of place" is during a point when he's in a frat. Ashton, the actor, just doesn't seem to fit into that world. Of course, that could've been the writing since I'd bet a lot that the writer was never in a frat and, in fact, is bitter about it.

The rest of the actors are very good. Particularly the 4 kids. Special applause to the kids that played Ashton's character and Tommy. Both did fantastic jobs and really steal the movie.

Overall, the acting is great and the plot works well with the "gimmick" its centralized around. You honestly won't hate anything...EXCEPT, the science. The method he uses to perform his "gimmick" sucks, as does the splash effect portrayed in the film.

Still, its one you and the little lady should like. Don't invite the kids though, it'll freak them out.

7 out of 10. (good acting, decent plot, bad science)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Neat-o. I liked it. At no point did it feel predictable to me, and the surprises were good. Good movie and it should be watched.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I reviewed this one a loooooooong time ago.

I liked it too, although I thought it was a bit more predictable.

Of interest to The Catt might be the fact that this movie is, I assume, based on yet another short story. Incidentally, its another one I don't remember the name of, but I do remember that it dealt with time traveling hunters and concerns over how a prehistoric butterfly's death will affect the future.

I do not think Asthon was as bad as some people said, nor do I think he was as "awesome" as some people said. Of course, I'm neither jealous of him or in love with him, so that might have something to do with it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Ray Bradbury's A Sound of Thunder, is what I think you are referring to.

Also referenced in one of the best Simpson Halloween episodes evar, when Homer transports back to the age of dinosaurs with the time-travelling toaster.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Also referenced in one of the best Simpson Halloween episodes evar, when Homer transports back to the age of dinosaurs with the time-travelling toaster.

Love that episode.

The best part is the world that rains doughnuts.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Speaking of A Sound of Thunder, wasn't there another movie made recently that was pretty much the same story?

I seem to remember some movie about time travel and dinosaur hunting...

I don't think I saw it though.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I never got around to seeing this one in the Theater, but i decided to put the DC in the Netflix cue for the heck of it.

I actually thought it was pretty good, sure the acting is par/sub-par in some cases, but the plotline is pretty good, minus some rather major plot holes.

What really sold me though was the SOUND and the atmosphere it managed to create. My surrond sound has NEVER sounded better from what I can remember.

Movie isn't very carebearish at all, very dark and tragic feeling. I have heard that the theatrical ending is very PCish compared to the Directors cut. Reading the theatrical ending, give me the Directors cut any day.

It earns some +'s in the last few minutes as the DC throws a big middle finger at the religious right, and ends up being a pretty solid 8/10 in my book.

P.S. Hidalgo Sucks
P.P.S. The Extended ROTK rocks...
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I didn't think it was as bad as some people say either.

Although, I liked Hidalgo.
Troy

Post by Troy »

You thought so? I couldn't stay awake through it, and I am one who can usually really get into that kind of thing.
I loved Kingdom of Heaven for example.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Anything w\ Ashton Kutcher can't be worth watching unless he is actually castrated, impaled, shot, hung, drowned, & drawn and quartered.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Hah, that would be funny if you had actually watched the movie, it's not to far from the truth
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Hah, that would be funny if you had actually watched the movie, it's not to far from the truth
No, it's not. I don't want his character to die, I want HIM to die.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Your love for Demi is shining through ???
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Your love for Demi is shining through ???
Not bloody likely.

I just thoroughly hate Ashton Kutcher & believe his ability to act is limited to the same motiviation as Keanu Reeves, i.e., "I don't know what the fuck is going on."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I always thought she looked hot in this picture when she was pregnant with Ashton.

"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Fucking seriously?
GORDON
Site Admin

The Butterfly Effect - *Minor Spoilers*

Post by GORDON »

I finally watched this one, it showed up on Netflix.

I didn't know the existence/extent of the child abuse scenes... that was rough.

But I thought it was good.

Did someone mention there were alternate endings?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."