The Office

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Will Arnett to replace Steve Carroll?

I think this could work.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

I'm not a big Carell fan so if Arnett replaced him I would start watching again but he hasn't had a ton of success in terms of viewers on TV.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, Carrel hasn't made that role great.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Funny, just finished season 2 tonight.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Anyone else think this show is overrated?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

How is it rated?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The people I know that watch the show insist it's THE best sitcom ever made. The best episode I've seen (a limited set, of course) has been average in terms of entertainment.

Edited By Malcolm on 1300896030
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

In your case Malcolm, I think it's a little of both.

Your friends are insane for thinking it's "the best show ever made."

Meanwhile, I think you probably under rate it. The Office is a show where half the comedy comes from knowing the characters. So if you aren't familiar with them, you won't get a lot of the jokes or they won't be as funny to you.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I enjoy it, and I would say it is much better than the average thing I have seen on network TV, but I certainly wouldn't say it is the best sitcom ev4r.

It isn't really fair to say SHOW 1 FROM THE 2010's (Office) is better than SHOW 2 FROM THE 1980'S (Cheers). The psyche of the TV-watching nation changes over time, and for that reason things don't always age well, but it is hard to say Office now is better than Cheers, then.

Except MASH... that ruled.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

My issue with getting into "The Office" is the same as other shows which parody things and people I'm all too familiar with -- if I want to mock things I already know, I don't want the jokes sanitized or censored. I don't want useless subplots or entire episodes devoted to characters I hate. Same reason why I avoid "Big Bang Theory."
Except MASH... that ruled.

For a couple seasons.

The psyche of the TV-watching nation changes over time, and for that reason things don't always age well...

The psyche of the TV-watching nation doesn't concern me. Decent shows always have some key elements you can look at and say, "That's definitely not shit. There's something to it." Such things seems to be missing from 99.9% of the new shows I see whilst flipping through the channel guide, looking for old shows to Tivo.

And Cheers kicked ass. Watch the episode where Woody runs for public office and listen to his speeches. Then go listen to one of B. Rock's speeches from the election a few years back.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

MASH was awesome until Trapper left. Then it was good until Colonel Blake died (Spoiler!). This it was ok until Frank left. Then it turned into a drama with a few random laughes.

The movie is excellent if you've never seen it.

Cheers was good, but it's not among my favorites. Although it does have one of the best opening scenes ever when the guys are talking about how there are no heroes left in the world. That's when Sam walked in with three women saying "Meet my date tonight", and all the guys started chanting "Sammy!" I think I liked Cheers a LOT more when Shelly Long was on it.

I was a big Night Court fan. I didn't care too much for liberal judge Harry, but Dan (John Laroquette) was hilarious. Not to mention the defender with the large rack was amazing.

And the best line ever on TV was made by Fred Sanford to Aunt Ester: "Why don't you press your face in dough and make gorilla cookies!"
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:And the best line ever on TV was made by Fred Sanford to Aunt Ester: "Why don't you press your face in dough and make gorilla cookies!"
I think my fave line ever was in Archie Bunker. "Meathead" walks in with a <s>purse</s> <s>european carry-all</s> leather satchel-thing that hippies carried in the 70's, and Archie Bunker's friend points at Meathead and asks, "Who's the fag?"
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Amazing what people could get away with before political correctness ruined everything.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

More possible replacements.

Obviously all these people are being signed as red herrings during that final show.

I pray it isn't Spader. Something about him makes me hate him. It's nothing personal, he just has a look about him that I can't stand.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Daniel JAckson!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ray Romano? God fucking help the fans of that show if that's true.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Office

Post by GORDON »

The kid and I watched the entire series over the last few months. Finished it tonight.

I enjoyed it again. And I'd forgotten how Dwight started taking antidepressants, and it fixed him.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Office

Post by TheCatt »

Are the last 2 yo 3 years worth it? I've never been able to make myself watch them
GORDON
Site Admin

The Office

Post by GORDON »

.......... kinda?

They murder Andy's character, I think I read it was because Ed Helms was giving higher priority to his movie career, so the writers were fucking with him.

The time of Robert California was interesting.

Pam comes off as a soul-crushing bitch to Jim in the last season, and it felt like they did some damage control with her, in the last episode. Even my kid thought she was being incredibly unfair.

But also, for about 20 seconds, Dwight admitted he had a lot of anxiety. Then it was never addressed again, he just became a normal person after that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Office

Post by TheCatt »

Hmmmmmmm

We quit a bit after the Pam and Jim wedding