Gran Torino (2008)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
thibodeaux

Gran Torino (2008)

Post by thibodeaux »

Awesome, except for the ending.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Just arrived from 'Flix this weekend. Looking quite forward to it.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Vince

Post by Vince »

Clint really got dicked at the Oscars on this one.

And I look at the up and coming actors and compare them to actors like Clint and I realize all the new batch of men have vaginas.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Vince wrote:Clint really got dicked at the Oscars on this one.

And I look at the up and coming actors and compare them to actors like Clint and I realize all the new batch of men have vaginas.

I read somewhere else that today's male actors rely on different hair styles to portray different emotions.

Edited By GORDON on 1249009069
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Ok, the dialogue and acting were crap, but this movie was hilarious.
Vince

Post by Vince »

"I'm here to give my confession."

"Jesus Christ Walt, what'd you do?"
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Yeah it was still funny up to that point.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The plot is cliched, most of the actors besides Clint aren't particularly interesting, & if anyone except Clint, Charleton Heston, or Charles Bronson played the protagonist, this flick wouldn't be near as entertaining as it is.

However, Clint's delivery & character make this film. W\o Pacino & De Niro, maybe "Heat" doesn't do as well. W\o Eastwood, "Gran Torino" is some straight-to-DVD independent release.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"You ever notice how every now and then you meet someone you just shouldn't have fucked with? Well, that's me."
Leisher
Site Admin

Gran Torino (2008)

Post by Leisher »

Never saw this flick until today. Looking back at some of these comments, this is fucking relevant:
Vince wrote: And I look at the up and coming actors and compare them to actors like Clint and I realize all the new batch of men have vaginas.
Ha! Gillette would not approve of Clint in this movie. Is his character a racist relic from another time? Absolutely. However, he also acts more like a man than most "men" walking the planet today. Despite his racism, he wasn't actually racist. Despite his intolerance, he wasn't actually intolerant. The measure of a man isn't what comes out of his mouth, but how he acts.

And it was great seeing a movie involving racism that didn't focus on the black and white dynamic.

I liked the movie a lot. Clint was phenomenal. The supporting cast wasn't amazing, but they were good enough to buy into the film.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Gran Torino (2008)

Post by GORDON »

And you can't even blame age and gravitas, comparing clint eastwood to up-and-coming actors. Looking back, even a young Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon had a screen presence that just can't be touched by more male actors, these days.

There are a few, Joaqin Phoenix and.... the new Mad Max... come to mind. But most men on screen, these days.... well, clearly have vaginas.