"Zoom Where It Happens"

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

"Zoom Where It Happens"

Post by Leisher »

First this quarantine entertainment did an all black Golden Girls, and now it'll be an all black Friends.

I wonder if an all white Black-ish is next or would that be "cultural appropriation"?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

"Zoom Where It Happens"

Post by thibodeaux »

To ask is to answer
TheCatt
Site Admin

"Zoom Where It Happens"

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I wonder if an all white Black-ish is next or would that be "cultural appropriation"?
Every soap opera ever?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

"Zoom Where It Happens"

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: I wonder if an all white Black-ish is next or would that be "cultural appropriation"?
Every soap opera ever?
I don't get your comment?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

"Zoom Where It Happens"

Post by GORDON »

He's suggesting black-ish is a soap opera for black people.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

"Zoom Where It Happens"

Post by Leisher »

Is he? Is still doesn't fit with what I said. Who is he implying is doing the cultural appropriation? I was pointing out that all black casts doing table reads for shows with predominately white casts/writers is cultural appropriation, but since only whitey can sin, somehow it isn't.

Also, I'd say Black-ish is a sitcom, not a soap opera.
TheCatt
Site Admin

"Zoom Where It Happens"

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Is he? Is still doesn't fit with what I said. Who is he implying is doing the cultural appropriation? I was pointing out that all black casts doing table reads for shows with predominately white casts/writers is cultural appropriation, but since only whitey can sin, somehow it isn't.

Ah, I gotcha. I was misinterpreting. I was saying what Gordon's saying, and there've been a billion of show those for white people.
thibodeaux

"Zoom Where It Happens"

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Is he? Is still doesn't fit with what I said. Who is he implying is doing the cultural appropriation? I was pointing out that all black casts doing table reads for shows with predominately white casts/writers is cultural appropriation, but since only whitey can sin, somehow it isn't.

Ah, I gotcha. I was misinterpreting. I was saying what Gordon's saying, and there've been a billion of show those for white people.
Yes but that's a strawman. The question is not: what if they made a show about white people? The question is: what if they took a show about BLACK people and recast everyone as white? Because nobody seems to mind when the colors are switched (see also: Hamilton). When "they take a show about white people and recast everyone as BLACK", it's super awesome and clever.
TheCatt
Site Admin

"Zoom Where It Happens"

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: The question is: what if they took a show about BLACK people and recast everyone as white? Because nobody seems to mind when the colors are switched (see also: Hamilton). When "they take a show about white people and recast everyone as BLACK", it's super awesome and clever.
Does it even make sense in the other direction? I'd love to see an example. Hamilton was taking people who had no allowed role in our country's founding.

Do we take Friday and make it country + western?
Leisher
Site Admin

"Zoom Where It Happens"

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:Hamilton was taking people who had no allowed role in our country's founding.
To what end?
Does it even make sense in the other direction? I'd love to see an example.
Does anything other than Hamilton make sense? The explanation for Hamilton doesn't work for Friends and Golden Girls, and if you spin it to fit, then you're going to open the door for all white casts around things they had nothing to do with.
thibodeaux

"Zoom Where It Happens"

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote:
Hamilton was taking people who had no allowed role in our country's founding
How does THAT make sense? (Hint: it doesn't). Fine, boo hoo, BLACK people didn't get to be Founding Fathers. Why not make a rap musical about a different great republic that WAS founded by BLACK people. Like, um...

Hamilton is literally appropriation of the achievements of others.