The Owners (2020)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Owners (2020)

Post by Leisher »

3 English blokes decide to break into a home when the owners are gone for the evening. They don't find enough stuff, so they wait until the owners return. That's when things go south.

The blokes are very stereotypical in that there's a slow, fat guy who has the intel, the "main guy" with the bird, and the fringe guy who is really the sociopath. The bird is Maisie Williams who gets dragged into the whole thing.

The good: The acting is exceptional. Maisie is awesome and the male owner is Sylvester McCoy, whom I'm told was a Dr. Who. Rita Tushingham plays his wife and she's pretty awesome. She genuinely made me want Maisie to kill her.

The bad: Everything else. The story is just nonsense and poorly laid out. Maybe there's something interesting there, but at no point is anything ever explained. Why does this elderly couple have all of this equipment? How is this elderly woman moving around like the Flash in a cramped English home? How is an elderly man moving around 200+ pound bodies without straining? And why is the movie so dark? Does Hollywood have a lighting shortage?

Here's the biggest question I had, and based on some light research this morning, NOBODY else seems to address: Why was there a camera shot of a cockroach coming back to life right in the middle of the movie? It's death had previously been very well documented. Is the movie supernatural all of a sudden?

Great acting wasted on a shit movie.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”