Wounds (2019)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Wounds (2019)

Post by Leisher »

Hulu Exclusive

When I saw the image for this film I thought, "Oh cool, Jason Segel." While watching, the entire time I kept thinking, "Jon Hamm is really doing a great job here." Turns out, the guy I thought was Segel and Hamm is just Armie Hammer.

Armie is a bartender in New Orleans. Some of the regulars are a very large and very naked (they do a solid job of hiding it though, so don't get excited) black woman named Mary, a drunk thug named Eric, a pretty girl named Alicia, and her boyfriend Jeffrey.

One evening a group of college kids come into the bar and Armie serves them despite them clearly being underage. Meanwhile Eric comes in with a group of friends and proceeds to get into a fight. The fight is between Eric and one of his friends. The friend stabs Eric in the face with a broken bottle and the fight prompts everyone to leave the bar. The college kids unknowingly or knowingly, it's never explained, leave behind a cell phone. It's also revealed that Armie has a crush on Alicia despite having a girlfriend of his own who may or may not be cheating on him with her college professor. Oh, and did I mention Armie is a massive alcoholic? How about his cop friends who hang out at the bar so often they're only there on one evening when the plot needed them there? How about how despite his drinking, serving kids, and so on, the owner retains him constantly? Did I also mention Eric lives above the bar, which is a huge key to the plot? Anyway, supernatural things start occurring in Armie's life after he is able to crack the phone's security thanks to finger grease on the screen revealing the unlock shape.

As that paragraph should already hint, this movie is fucking boring and a mess of writing. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is ever explained. Also, these characters have insane things happen to them yet never seek help or change their daily lives. Oh, and did I mention the cockroaches? They're everywhere and in ridiculously huge numbers, but don't worry, that won't be explained either.

Here's the whole movie: The college students believe some old texts about achieving higher power through open wounds. Essentially, they can reach other planes of existence that way. Armie's life is devoid of meaning, and thus, becomes a perfect person to recruit into this way of thinking. Although, the leaving behind of the phone seems completely random, not intentional. As I'm sure you've figured out, the cut on Eric's face is the wound Armie explores once his life has fallen apart, and the movie ends with him consuming something with an eye coming out of the wound that is way too big for the wound and for Armie's mouth. That image is obscured by cockroaches all over the camera lens.

You're welcome. I just saved you 90 boring minutes.

The only good thing about the film was Armie's performance. The guy brought it, but his weakness seems to be picking scripts.

Skip it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”