The House That Jack Built (2018)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The House That Jack Built (2018)

Post by Leisher »

Currently on Hulu

Artistic film about a serial killer (Matt Dillon) in the 1970s and his journey from the beginning to the end, but mainly focusing on his 5 most important kills (incidents).

This is a long movie at 2 1/2 hours. It's also extremely dark. Send any impressionable youth out of the room as shit is going to get bad. From start to finish, this is a character piece all about Dillon. It just happens to also have a lot of gore, murder, and unintentional horrific comedy. There's one thing he does to a body that if you have a soul, you can't help but laugh.

Why artistic? Well, there are a LOT of shots of artwork, lots of shots of Dillon standing with placards, and there are some serious deviations from what you're going to expect. In fact, there's a running conversation going on as a sort of narration between scenes, and I had a strong guess as to what we were hearing, but I was wrong. It's more of a left turn.

Dillon's performance is key to the whole film, and I think he pulled it off. Is it award worthy? Probably not. It's really good, but the character isn't really flashy enough to invoke an award winning performance. There's too much art to distract from the character.

P.S. Uma Thurman makes an appearance and is fantastically unlikable.

I really enjoyed the movie, but I can absolutely see where it wouldn't be other people's cup of tea. This isn't Friday the 13th or Halloween. This is a more cultural and intelligent horror, and make no mistake, the horror is still there.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”