An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn (2018)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn (2018)

Post by Leisher »

Netflix

A woman in an unhappy marriage gets involved with a good Samaritan and a odd cast of others as her former love comes to town.

Apparently if you loved Napoleon Dynamite this movie is right up your alley. That's not a shot. Loads of reviews reference ND in their discussion of this film.

All of the characters play all of the wackiness going on around them straight like it's all totally normal. Nothing is normal though. Everything is strange, but just realistic enough. It's almost like if 8 year olds were tasked with recreating a convoluted situation adults once experienced.

The style of the film is incredible. Everything looks like a mix of the 70s and 80s, but a trapped in time version. The attention to detail is really amazing and it's quite clear they really made sure the overall joke of the film went all the way down to the hair, costumes, and sets.

Is it good? I'm still struggling with that answer. I didn't laugh, but I saw the humor. I know it was there, and even enjoyed some of it, but I never audibly laughed. However, I greatly respected the humor, the effort, and the overall film.

The performances are honestly perfect, and you'll see familiar faces like Aubrey Plaza and Craig Robinson. The filmmaking is off the charts for the style and attention to detail.

Just not my cup of tea, but I respect the film immensely.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”