The Night Clerk (2020)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Night Clerk (2020)

Post by Leisher »

Netflix

Tye Sheridan has aspergers, lives at home with his mother (Helen Hunt) and works at a hotel. To learn how to function like a normal person he spies on people in their rooms via hidden cameras. He's not a perv, just completely socially unaware. Then he witnesses a murder. To cover up his own crimes, he hides what he saw and becomes the prime suspect in the murder. That investigation is led by John Leguizamo. That's when he meets Ana de Armas and falls in love.

I liked this movie. It's 1000% a character piece focusing on Tye's life and how difficult it is and his desire to be normal. I think if you come in with that knowledge you'll enjoy it more than if you come in looking for a murder mystery/thriller, which this is not. It only has a 5.4 on IMDB because the trailer makes it look like a murder mystery/thriller, so people are bored and pissed.

Thing is, while there is a murder, the real story is about Tye's life. This is one of those movies within a movie. This is legit a movie where you have to watch it all the way to fully appreciate which story was actually being told.

The acting is pretty awesome throughout. Nobody does a bad job. I've seen people suggesting Tye should get an Oscar nod. Perhaps.

Ana de Armas is fucking gorgeous and you will fall in love with her character here. She's simply oozing charisma out of the screen.

Before I end this...I have to mention Helen Hunt. I don't want to, and this isn't a shot, but what did she do? I recognized her by her voice and had to go to IMDB to confirm it was her. Plastic surgery can be a bad, bad thing.

If your IQ is above 100 and you don't expect every movie to be Friday the 13th or a Transformers film, you might enjoy this like I did. Strong performances shine in this character study hidden beneath a murder story.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”