Axe Giant: The Wrath of Paul Bunyan (2013)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Axe Giant: The Wrath of Paul Bunyan (2013)

Post by Leisher »

Amazon Prime

Low budget indy.

Instead of a giant, Paul Bunyan was just a deformed hunchback who was best friends with a blue ox. He was a great lumberjack though. Then one day some other lumberjacks killed and ate Babe. Paul came in and slaughtered them. He then escaped custody and moved into the mountains where he grew into a giant. Now there's a scared straight type of camping program going on that runs afoul of Paul via Babe's shrine.

The acting, effects, direction, and writing are what you'd expect. A good effort by all, but ultimately very lacking.

The story is essentially one that's been told many times before. Misunderstood and deformed being gets tagged as a monster leading to them acting like said monster.

One mistake that gets made twice in this film is story telling that involves perspective:
Example #1: "I was talking to the cop, but another one behind him kept staring at my ass. So I punched him."
Example #2: A character is quite a distance from a group of people. The one guy with his back to the group has a gun, but wearing nothing like a guy who just shot the far away character. Yet the far away character can somehow see the gun which is completely shielded from him.

And why does the girl who agrees to get topless always get killed first? I think that sends the wrong message! :D

Decent indy effort, but not good enough to recommend.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”