The Invisible Man (2020)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Invisible Man (2020)

Post by Leisher »

A new take on the Invisible Man.

This time the story revolves around a woman who runs from her abusive and controlling boyfriend. That boyfriend also happens to be a multimillionaire and a genius in optics technology.

I'm not going to lie. Elizabeth Moss does a great job in this film, but she was a poor casting choice visually. Not to be mean, but she doesn't look the part. After the opening scene when there's too much tension to really focus on her, I couldn't get it out of my head about what a bad fit she was for the role. Mainly because the guy they cast doesn't look like a match for her. I know, I know, it's shallow, but it's true. There's a line in the movie where someone says, "He could have had any woman in the world", and I responded, "And he picked her?" I don't know if it was mostly due to him or because they seemed to go out of their way to make her unattractive the whole movie, but it really bugged me.

Aside from that, there were a lot of problems throughout the film. Logic holes here and there that just didn't work. I can think of six off the top of my head that were just huge mistakes or utterly ridiculous.

Plus, they never showed us why we should hate him. All we get is her story, which I guess fits the whole #BelieveWomen movement, but we were never shown anything on camera to prove it was him. The one brief "gotcha" they give the audience is supposed to be the smoking gun, but was it? We "know" it was because that's what we were told by the filmmakers, but man it would never stand up in a court of law. Particularly not with the knowledge the courts in the movie now had...

I was entertained and Moss did a great job, but this is a flawed movie.

NOTE: I just read she's a scientologist. I feel less bad about thinking she's too unattractive for the role now that I know she's crazy.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Invisible Man (2020)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I know, I know, it's shallow, but it's true.
Fair point. Elizabeth Moss is just meh.
Leisher wrote: I just read she's a scientologist.
Ewwww
It's not me, it's someone else.