The Hunt (2020)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Hunt (2020)

Post by Leisher »

Bold choice to lean into politics and "white people are evil" during an election year.

https://youtu.be/sowGYbxTPgU
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The Hunt (2020)

Post by Leisher »

This is essentially this movie combined with all the movies where humans hunt humans.

The movie starts with a shot at Trump, but without naming him. I figure that's so the movie can apply to any R president. Rs and Ds are never named, but it's clear the murderers are liberals, while their victims are conservatives. That's why I say any R president. While the movie uses politics to set the stage, it's not actually about politics. Both sides are portrayed as smart, but stupid. By the end there's also a very clear message about how politics make us all bigots and stupid. Even if you're educated.

I felt it was important to get that out of the way because I figure the politics in the trailers lead to this film bombing. And yes, it bombed.

Once you get past the political stuff, it's just a dark comedy where humans hunt humans.

Betty Gilpin does an excellent job as the protagonist. She's pretty damn good in G.L.O.W. and it seems she's spreading her wings. We'll probably be seeing her in some more stuff in the future.

It's gory, there are some chuckles, and it's entertaining enough to be worthy of one viewing when you're looking for something light.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Hunt (2020)

Post by TheCatt »

Hard for a movie to avoid bombing when people already started to self quarantine, though I doubt it would have done well either way
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Hunt (2020)

Post by GORDON »

"White people are the worst," in the trailer, is what turned me off.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The Hunt (2020)

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: "White people are the worst," in the trailer, is what turned me off.
Exactly what turned me off too.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Hunt (2020)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: "White people are the worst," in the trailer, is what turned me off.
I dont think I ever saw the trailer. But, white people are pretty terrible.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Hunt (2020)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote:
I dont think I ever saw the trailer. But, any race of people in positions of power are pretty terrible.
Fixed!

I know you were baiting, but that is the part of the argument that people who vilify whitey ignore. History proves any race in power becomes evil, but that doesn't fit their agenda, so they ignore it.