Freaks (2018)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Freaks (2018)

Post by Leisher »

This is a tough review to write without spoilers.

A man lives in hiding with his daughter. Why? Well, that's the problem. The entire film is paced and written so that everything is revealed to you slowly. That's what makes it tough to write about. I don't want to tip you off too much.

So let me tell you about the film itself and then I'll get more detailed later.

The film is well made, and they're good with the clearly limited budget. However, the acting of the non-leads isn't great. I blame the writing for that more than the actors. The pace is actually a bit shitty because you'll grow to hate the person you're supposed to be rooting for as she's a selfish little shit. (And I just realized...one of her actions is a logic hole.) I think it's just a bit too slow to get rolling, and thus, it gives you the wrong type of character development. Now the idea behind what is happening is cool, particularly how they're hiding. However, there are things that don't add up.

It has flaws, but I enjoyed it. That being said, it could have been done a lot better. So see it I guess? IMDB has it at a 6.7, which is good and I don't really disagree. It's clever, but not. Good, but not great. I think the lower your expectations, the better.

Ok, now if you don't give a rat's ass about spoilers, this world/story has been done before. Basically, every story where this guy didn't exist or fulfill his legacy.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”