The Circle (Netflix)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Circle (Netflix)

Post by Leisher »

Reality show my wife and youngest kid started watching. I accidentally got interested about episode 3 and stuck it out in the name of spending time with the family. Another daughter joined in around episode 10. Everyone enjoyed it, except for the final episode, which was the same as every other reality show finale where they drag things out to get an extra episode.

The premise is of a reality competition where you want to be the most popular to win. However, the catch is that nobody meets one another. There's no face to face interaction at all until you're voted out. The show takes place in what is clearly an old hotel turned into apartments. Each contestant gets there own apartment and are safe the first day. They create profiles with pictures so people can get to know them. There are private chats and group chats and each day(?) everyone is ranked by each other and the top two popular people vote out someone.

The major twist is that not meeting or speaking face to face means you don't have to be yourself. You can be something you deem to be "better" to get votes. So yes, there are catfish.

It's an interesting game/social experiment. Both for the players are those at home to see how you judge people based upon looks and whatnot. The thing I believe the show really shows is that we're all the same, except nobody is the same.

Season 1 is over and all the episodes are available to be binged. If doing a family viewing, there are alternative lifestyles, language, and some light suggestive talk. I think the most "adult" thing said was "I got eaten out on a trampoline once."
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The Circle (Netflix)

Post by Leisher »

Season 2 is mostly out (4 more episodes to go) and this show continues to be an interesting watch. Twists in the show for season 2 include an actual celebrity and another person other players recognize from a different show. I won't tell you all the game play twists in case you ever decide to watch it.

It's legit a good show concept.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”