Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer (2007)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Amazon Prime

Jack Brooks watched his family get killed by a monster when he was a kid. Now he deals with severe anger issues. He's taking science classes with his girlfriend that happen to be taught by Robert Englund. Shit happens and Jack finds himself dealing with monsters in his hometown.

Englund steals the movie during his time on screen. In fact, the supporting cast is far more memorable than Jack himself. His girlfriend is a perfect brat, her guy friend is the perfect level of mousy douche waiting for his opening, the other hot girl is perfectly flirty, the annoying teacher's pet is perfectly annoying, etc.

The worst actor and performance in the movie is Jack. (Ok, it's actually the tribesmen who are visibly laughing while fighting a monster.) Makes sense that his acting credits are extremely limited and he's made more of a name for himself as a producer. He's not Jerry Seinfeld bad, but he wasn't the right guy for this role.

Although, I don't think the script helped him. It's extremely light on actual monster slaying. That stuff only happens in the third act, which means most of the movie is his origin story and the creation of the monster he has to fight.

Far more comedy than horror, but even in that genre it pales next to Tucker and Dale vs Evil.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Makes sense that his acting credits are extremely limited and he's made more of a name for himself as a producer.
My first thought: I bet he's rich.

Yep
He is the youngest son of telecommunications billionaire Sir Terry Matthews and Ann, Lady Matthews.
It's not me, it's someone else.