The Haunting of Hill House

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Netflix.

We're 4 episodes in to season 1.

Spooky, yes. Time jumpy? Jesus christ. I've been noticing the annoying trend, but this episode I actually counted... like 16 time jumps in 51 minutes. There were 5 jumps in the first 6 minutes.

30 years ago. Today. Two days prior to today. 30 years ago, and then 2 months prior to today. And it just goes on and on. I don't like that.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: 30 years ago. Today. Two days prior to today. 30 years ago, and then 2 months prior to today. And it just goes on and on. I don't like that.
It feels lazy to me. Like "We don't know how to build suspense, so we're going to jump all over the place and just re-arrange time"
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: 30 years ago. Today. Two days prior to today. 30 years ago, and then 2 months prior to today. And it just goes on and on. I don't like that.
It feels lazy to me. Like "We don't know how to build suspense, so we're going to jump all over the place and just re-arrange time"
And those exact 5 times jumps HAPPENED IN THE FIRST 6 MINUTES. I want to emphasize that. And there was maybe 45 seconds of credits in those 6 minutes.

To be honest, I'm not sure if this story would be interesting if told chronologically. I'll have to see it to the end, then think about it. So far the first 4 episodes take place within a few weeks (30 years ago), and maybe over 3 days in the present. So far.

We're basically seeing stuff in the past that explains why these adults are the way they are in the present.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: It feels lazy to me. Like "We don't know how to build suspense, so we're going to jump all over the place and just re-arrange time"
I definitely think your statement has merit. However, I also think it's a fad, so "copying" is a big reason why so many shows are doing it right now.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Half way through. This is not a happy show.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Whew. That was a rough show to get through. Kinda bleak... and I'm still processing the ending.