Spring Breakers (2012)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Spring Breakers (2012)

Post by TheCatt »

When I pick exercising movies for watching on my bike, I aim for movies good enough to hold my attention, but not so good I'd want to dedicate time to watching them. This was from the person who directed Kids, so I thought maybe it wouldn't be terrible. Boy was I wrong.

James Franco, Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hutchens, Gucci Mane, and a bunch of people you (I?) haven't heard of. 4 girls (3 bad girls, 1 good girl, played by Selena) decide they're bored of their town and want to go on spring break to St Petersburg, FL. So the 3 bad girls rob a diner. They go to St Pete, and drink, do drugs, etc. The Good girl says it's the best she's ever felt and is in love with life, etc. They get arrested (arbitrarily it seems) by the police, and are out of money, again. So they get bailed out by James Franco to live a life of crime. Selena realizes how terrible this movie is, and leaves. Like permanently, her character never returns. I assume she fired her agent, too. Things escalate, and a girl gets shot. So she too leaves, and her character never comes back either. Both departures use basically the same bus shot.

James F starts a much predictable gang war of sorts, and the two remaining ladies are IN.

The final battle of the movie was the only thing worth a damned, and it was terrible.

The whole movie is basically in the trailer, except all the many, many boring parts. And tits.

SPOILERS (with my comments)
Back in the present, the three travel in a motorboat to Big Arch's mansion. After they dock at the pier, Alien is shot and killed by one of Big Arch's guards (like, immediately killed). Brit, and Candy carry on, killing Big Arch's gang before finally confronting and killing Big Arch himself (with no resistance, despite just walking up in their bikinis, not taking cover or anything). During the assault and its aftermath, the camera pans over the dead bodies of Big Arch's gang while the girls speak in a voice-over, first heard earlier in the film, describing the beach's beauty and musing that they have discovered who they truly are. Brit and Candy, silent and wearing pensive, ambiguous expressions, drive home in Big Arch's Lamborghini. A final flashback shows the two girls kissing Alien's dead body before departing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0AMLz5NMl4
Director Quentin Tarantino stated that this was his favorite film of 2013.
WTF?
Spring Breakers was the first feature from A24, the studio behind Lady Bird, Moonlight, The Florida Project, The Disaster Artist, The Lobster, The Witch, and Ex Machina.
Really? Cuz there are some good movies in that list.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Spring Breakers - Yay Nflix. Well, not yay.

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Really? Cuz there are some good movies in that list.
Those are all good movies. I'm going to have to see this one just because.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
It's terrible. But not terrible enough to be entertaining
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
Did you see it yet?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

No, thanks for bringing this back up. I'll watch it this weekend.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Well, I watched it.

I can understand the allure of the film. At least the artistic portion. However, it's a long, boring slog of a film.

There is so much that is nothing like reality. That ending is laughable. The way the two people leave is so odd, and one of them was missing even earlier in the film with no explanation.

And why is James Franco always in films where he plays a sleaze who preys upon young desperate women? Based on his personal life and scandals, seems like it might not be acting.

The tits and lesbian action are great, but I wonder if there were any actual spring breakers now regretting doing that stuff on camera.

I didn't hate it, but I'd never watch it again or recommend it.