Red Sparrow (2018)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Red Sparrow (2018)

Post by Leisher »

Yay my friend's HBONow account.

Jennifer Lawrence is a Russian ballet dancer, and at the top of her field. Something happens and she ends up in a Russian spy program. Now she's embroiled in a scandal involving a Russian mole working for the U.S. She gets send to Budapest to work an American agent who the Russians know is the mole's handler.

A very, very long film with many twists and turns. Lots of sexual stuff too, which was actually refreshing for a spy film. You've got to figure that's a go to in the spy community but it rarely gets addressed in movies.

Give credit where credit is due, Lawrence does a great job. She clearly did a lot of physical stuff here, worked on her accent, and shows a ton of skin.

The story is tight, and they really stick to character. I don't want to say more than that as I want to avoid spoilers, but thinking back upon the movie, stuff just fits. I know there is a minor hole here and there, mostly to add more tension, but overall it was well done.

I recommend it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”