Knives Out (2019)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Knives Out (2019)

Post by Leisher »

Looks decent.

https://youtu.be/qOg3AoRc4nI
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Knives Out

Post by Leisher »

Here is where Rian Johnson belongs, his own universe. He should stay the fuck out of other people's because there he's a hack. Here he's good. Not great, but really good.

Daniel Craig is a known detective sent to investigate the suicide of an uber rich writer, Christopher Plummer. The writer's family is an eccentric group with their own secrets and bad behaviors. Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Chris Evans are the bigger names among some other mildly familiar faces. The story hinges around a goodie-goodie immigrant who cared for the rich writer. She has a condition that also is something of a plot hole.

The cast does a great job, and the direction is very sound.

I enjoyed the film, but it's missing something. I don't know if it's because it really isn't a "who done it" or because you know most everything by the middle of the movie. Maybe it was Craig's limited time in the spotlight, which when playing a "Holmes-like" character you want them in the forefront. Maybe it was the complete lack of backstory for anyone? I don't know. I just know something was missing.

Overall, worth seeing once.

There's also a sequel coming and only Craig's character seem to be returning. So new mystery.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Knives Out (2019)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I enjoyed the film, but it's missing something.
This is basically how I felt as well.
Leisher wrote: I don't know if it's because it really isn't a "who done it" or because you know most everything by the middle of the movie.
Yeah. Also, I was told this was a laugh riot. And, it was funny, but not as funny as I was expecting.
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Knives Out (2019)

Post by thibodeaux »

Daniel Craig's accent was awful...maybe that's what people were laughing at.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Knives Out (2019)

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Daniel Craig's accent was awful...maybe that's what people were laughing at.
It's pretty close to my law-yur from Jyor-guh accent. :)
thibodeaux

Knives Out (2019)

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote:
thibodeaux wrote: Daniel Craig's accent was awful...maybe that's what people were laughing at.
It's pretty close to my law-yur from Jyor-guh accent. :)
Is that a real person, or is that a character you do?
GORDON
Site Admin

Knives Out (2019)

Post by GORDON »

It was ok. Straight-mysteries aren't really my thing, but I wanted to see what the buzz had been about. There was just barely enough quirky humor in it to keep me from being angry I watched it, and I generally like happy endings.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Knives Out (2019)

Post by TheCatt »