Little Monsters (2019)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Little Monsters (2019)

Post by Leisher »

Hulu Original

Lupita Nyong'o and Josh Gad headline this movie about an elementary class in Australia on a field trip to a farm/putt-putt kind of place that just happens to be next to a massive U.S. military and research installation. Alexander England is a loser uncle to one of the kids and he tags along. That's when zombies escape the military facility.

You know those movies where you wonder, "Who is this made for?" This is one of those movies. Is it for kids? Is it supposed to be serious? Is it a comedy?

My wife thought it was terrible despite laughing out loud a couple of times. I thought it has some terrible parts, but I was entertained enough to not hate it.

Feminists will love it because Nyong'o is the perfect human being in the film. She, literally, does no wrong at all and is essentially the muscle of the survivors, and the brains, and the looks, and the heart...(Gordon will LOVE this aspect of the film.)

Gad seems to have just signed up to curse like a drunken sailor. He plays a famous Captain Kangaroo type and once things go to shit...well, you know how he acts...

Overall, it's fine. There's clearly a reason this didn't go to theaters, but it's not awful.

I do want to shout out one moment late in the film. It involves a tractor and a lot of zombies. You'll groan, but give it a moment, there's a payoff. I thought it was hilarious and it's an obvious nod to the audience that just groaned.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”