Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Netflix exclusive.

The reviews of this movie HATED it, so I came into it thinking it was going to be an absolute train wreck. It's not awesome, but it's better than the early reviews said.

This film is a direct sequel to the original. All other sequels and remakes are ignored, ala the new Halloween movies. And that's not the only thing they stole from those...

We start off with four youngins traveling to Harlow, Texas, a ghost town (a real one). The idea is that they've bought the town and are going to turn it into a progressive paradise, safe for all who want to live there. The young people include the black guy with his blonde white girlfriend and two sisters (siblings), one of whom is a school shooting survivor. The other sister is a really outspoken, far left Karen. They are immediately unlikeable, which might have been the point? Seriously, their entitled attitudes, the far left propaganda they are spouting, the immediate judging of people based on predetermined bias, and so on just make you hate them. I was wondering if I was watching a horror movie or a politically driven documentary.

They get to the town to discover a Confederate flag hanging that is a trigger for them. That leads to them meeting a nice older woman that still lives in the town, which angers the entitled assholes. This sets off a series of events that spawns the return of Leatherface. That's not a spoiler since he's the star of this series.

Commence the killing and a metric FUCKTON of people doing stupid shit. There's a bus scene that just does not work for me logistically. Way too many people going off alone, particularly when it's known there's a killer out there. And so on.

They also bring back Sally, the lone survivor of the original film. A different actress though as the real one passed away a few years back. This is clearly stolen from the Halloween series and Jamie Lee Curtis' Lori Stroud. She's spent 40 years trying to find Leatherface and there he is basically in the same place. You wonder how someone could be that dumb, but then she shows up and you no longer wonder. Seriously, I really wonder if her character is meant as a parody.

Also, no idea of the filmmakers' politics, but to make all of these way, way left people immediately shitty and then spend the rest of the film murdering them is, at the very least, an interesting choice. It's like they finally left the safety of their hivemind and got their asses kicked by reality. In fact, I would argue the film has three likeable characters (No, I'm not including Leatherface here.), and you don't know their politics. Weird huh? Very unHollywood-like.

Leatherface also has some "Jason" moments, but I think I can explain those away easy enough and the stupidity on display would support my argument.
Also, none of the rest of his family are around.

There's an uneventful post credits scene, but I think it's just to setup a sequel or the TV series in the works.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Altered a previous thread, so bumping to make it "new".
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”