Going the Distance (2010)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Going the Distance (2010)

Post by Leisher »

A romantic comedy featuring Justin Long and Drew Barrymore. Also along for the ride are Christina Applegate, Charlie Day, Jason Sudeikis, Ron Livingston, Jim Gaffigan, Rob Riggle, Mike Birbiglia, June Diane Raphael (Andre's real life wife), Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Kristen Schaal, and a bunch of other people you will recognize from bit roles here and there.

Sometimes ensemble films happen because stars have 1 movie left on their contract with a studio. Thus, some script gets green lit that otherwise wouldn't and you get movies like this one. I don't know that's what happened here, but it feels like it.

The dilemma for this relationship is distance.

She lives in SF and is trying to get a job as a newspaper reporter, which shocker, she can't find a job in NY doing that.
He lives in NY and is trying to get a job in the music industry (behind the scenes type), and he can't find a job in SF doing that.

I didn't buy a second of the chemistry between Long and Barrymore, but the rest of the cast really makes the film entertaining.

Some good chuckles mainly thanks to Applegate and Day. Barrymore is charming, but Long seems like he'd fit better in a teen comedy than one geared towards adults. Sorry Justin, but you look 12. I realize they're both supposed to be 20-somethings in this film, but they were both in their 30s when it was made. Justin doesn't look old enough, and Barrymore looks too old for the young 20s they're portraying.

Other than the bad casting choices, the film was fine. Much better than expected, although I expected a garbage fire...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”