Widows (2018)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Widows (2018)

Post by Leisher »

Yay my friend's HBOGo account.

Four widows find themselves in debt to a crime lord after their husbands are killed robbing him. Thus, they set out to pull off a heist of their own to pay it off. All of this happens during a contentious election for the rep for the 18th ward of Chicago.

Viola Davis, Elizabeth Debicki (who graciously shows off her amazing breasts), Michelle Rodriguez, and Carrie Coon are the widows. I also have listed them in order of their screen time and importance to the story.

Liam Neeson (whose potentially nude scenes made me think he probably ruined other men for Viola Davis), Jon Bernthal, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, and Coburn Goss are the husbands.

Colin Farrell and Brian Tyree Henry are the candidates (and one of them the crime lord), while Robert Duvall plays Farrell's father and the former rep.

Daniel Kaluuya is also here playing the enforcer for Brian Tyree Henry. Is it not like any role you've seen him play before. He really pulls off the sadism. Dude's a hell of an actor.

As you can see, it's an ensemble heist movie. It also has big ratings on IMDB (7) and RT (91%). However, the user score at RT is 61%. Guess which one I agree with...

The acting is off the fucking charts. Look at those names. It's a who's-who's of good acting. However, the story has a bit too much fluff. There's stuff in it that didn't need to be there, and worse, things that never get paid off. I guess the story is fine for the most part, but they definitely don't give you the full scoop or even hint at it until late. The part that'll drive most people nuts is the pacing. It's a slooooooooooooow movie.

This is one you really need to be in the mood to see. If you're not ready for a slow character piece you're going to hate it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”