A Vigilante (2018)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

A Vigilante (2018)

Post by Leisher »

This is an Olivia Wilde movie about domestic abuse.

A mysterious woman with an unknown past helps people escape abusive relationships. She does this via violence. At some point though, she has to address her past.

Yes, I said people. Not all the villains are men, not all the abuse victims are women, and there's a moment when "man or woman" is discussed as abuser or victim. So kudos to them for not assigning the evil to one gender.

This film is extremely plodding and intentionally tells you very little about what's going on. It's like being guided through a hallway while you're wearing a blindfold. Once you get to the end, the blindfold is removed and you see everything.

Wilde and the women at the support group meeting are excellent. They all do phenomenal jobs, and I was waiting for some disclaimer about them all having lived through domestic abuse in real life.

I'm guessing this movie would be super powerful for anyone who went through a situation like this in their lives. However, while the group scenes are powerful, the movie is too plodding and the premise a bit too silly. (The entire scene of the first person she saves and how is Hollywood ridiculousness.)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”