Backcountry (2014)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Backcountry (2014)

Post by Leisher »

Netflix

This is under their "Hidden Gems" category. Tt stands at a 6 average on IMDB and 90% critic rating on RT. Users at RT have it at 54%, so I went in expecting something decent.

A couple heads into the deep woods/mountains for a special trip. The guy, Jeff Roop, is taking his girlfriend, Missy Peregrym, to a special spot he remembers from his childhood. On the first night they encounter, overly passive aggressive and creepy acting for no reason, Eric Balfour and since I didn't read the summary I figured this is where we're going. I was wrong.

What followed was 90 minutes of cameras being shaken too much, pretty obvious editing tricks, some good acting, some bad dialogue, a very well done but completely unrealistic special effect, and really bad character choices.

Some of the IMDB reviews claim this is a chilling horror. Did I watch the right movie? It's 60 minutes of setup, 10 minutes of event, and 20 minutes of resolution. That's the film's biggest flaw: pacing.

If you're an avid outdoors person, maybe there's something here that will connect with you? Still, I'd recommend watching Jaws or The Grey over this one.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”