Thor: Love and Thunder

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'm looking at it askew, but so far Taika has not given me a reason to doubt.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I'm looking at it askew, but so far Taika has not given me a reason to doubt.
I just wonder if he can do it twice. The nice thing about his first Thor movie was how different it was from all the other superhero movies.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

How involved was he in "What We Do in Shadows?" Because that's hilarious and brilliant, too. So, by my reckoning, he already did "do it" twice.

WHat I wonder is.... Thor3 set up certain ideas, and then Avengers: Infinity War undid most of them. (Only had 1 eye, echoing his father. A:IW undid that. Lost the hammer, as he didn't need it to be God of Thunder. A:IW undid that.) So I wonder how Taika will RE-do those ideas.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Somebody elsewhere pointed out that "Valkyrie" has been a Marvel character for nearly 50 years. I had to forehead-slap at that point bc I had a bunch of Defenders comics from the mid-80s when Defenders were basically the original X-Men plus...Valkyrie. I didn't connect her w the character in Ragnarok bc I guess I'm racist or something.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: WHat I wonder is.... Thor3 set up certain ideas, and then Avengers: Infinity War undid most of them. (Only had 1 eye, echoing his father. A:IW undid that. Lost the hammer, as he didn't need it to be God of Thunder. A:IW undid that.) So I wonder how Taika will RE-do those ideas.
Well, this is sort of inaccurate, and keep in mind that all Marvel movies go through Feige. That means he signed off on the changes. Thor lost the eye, but they did the "fix" just so he wouldn't constantly need makeup. The hammer isn't needed, but he uses it to focus his powers, plus he's been fighting with one since forever and he's used to it. He was echoing his father, but his father freed him with his "home is an idea" speech. Now Thor doesn't need to be a ruler and instead is out finding his own path.

The books had a similar arc, although I didn't read it so my info is a bit spotty. Thor lost his ability to wield Mjolnir I think when he killed someone. He then started using the big hammer you see in the movies and left home to seek out a new path. His mom took up the mantle of Thor in his absence. So I think we're going to see some of that play out.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: I'm looking at it askew, but so far Taika has not given me a reason to doubt.
I just wonder if he can do it twice. The nice thing about his first Thor movie was how different it was from all the other superhero movies.
Yeah, somewhere between the 2nd Thor movie and going to see Dr. Strange I stopped feeling like I had to see every Marvel movie. I would probably not have seen the 3rd Thor if not for the outstanding reviews. I'll probably wait and see what is being said about this one before I rent it.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: How involved was he in "What We Do in Shadows?" Because that's hilarious and brilliant, too.
He was one of the 2 creators for WWDiS movie, I thought. Him + half of Flight of the Conchords.

He's a little less involved with the show, but still pretty involved.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Vince wrote: Yeah, somewhere between the 2nd Thor movie and going to see Dr. Strange I stopped feeling like I had to see every Marvel movie. I would probably not have seen the 3rd Thor if not for the outstanding reviews. I'll probably wait and see what is being said about this one before I rent it.
I decided I’m done, post-endgame.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: the 2nd Thor movie
That was easily the worst Marvel movie.
thibodeaux wrote: I decided I’m done, post-endgame.
I feel like the next batch can only decline in quality. However, once the third batch comes with mutants, I feel like we'll see them spike upward again.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Although the character is explicitly bisexual in the comics
Meh, it's being respectful to the source material, so I don't care.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:Meh, it's being respectful to the source material, so I don't care.
My problem isn't so much that she's bi. My problem is that they seem so focused on it at this point that it's usually a strong indicator that the story itself will come second.

The BEST homosexual character I've ever seen written was a character called Kale Ingram in the short lived TV series Rubicon. It was a suspense spy drama and Kale was the boss of the main character who worked as a data analyst for a secret government anti-terrorist agency. The writers had you guessing if Kale was a good guy or a bad guy for a good chunk of the season. Also, about halfway through the season you found out he was gay. He wasn't a "gay character". He was a well written character that you didn't find out was gay until it was somewhat relevant to the story-line.

Usually when they establish the character as gay in the first scene with the character (usually a throwaway line about their husband or wife) it's a great big flag that the writers are bad and/or lazy and just checking intersectionality boxes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: My problem is that they seem so focused on it at this point that it's usually a strong indicator that the story itself will come second.
To be fair, they have wanted something because the SJWs have called them anti-LGBQT because they haven't had one yet. You have to respect the fact that they haven't shoehorned one in yet. So give the writers a chance before condemning it. It could work out fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Cap was cool with the gay couple in Endgame. That's all they need. If they make a sexual orientation a plot point, it becomes a chick flick.... that at least I can watch with my gfriend.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYnVCzwH3Mc
Vince

Post by Vince »

Yeah... not super hyped about many of the announced flicks they're rolling out. Doctor Strange teaming with Scarlet Witch seems like an interesting one. This one... maybe. Zero interest in anything else they've announced.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

If it's entertaining, it's entertaining. That's really all I care about.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I get the move.

The books made Thor a woman for a bit, while Thor, the guy, was out there re-discovering himself or whatever. (Side Note: It was NOT a hit.) Now that Thor has Stormbreaker, Mjolnir needs something to do so they'll follow the book's pattern and do the female Thor. Here's the thing, is Portman doing 5 movies? I doubt it. She hasn't been back except for really, really minor moments since Thor. So unless she has realized her career is in the toilet and Marvel is a way to get steady work, I don't see this as a long term thing. Plus, Thor, Hemsworth, isn't going anywhere. He'll be in that movie and GotG III.

Meanwhile, now that their primary characters are gone (and the mutants relegated to the next phase) and they're going with a bigger list of B level folks, it makes sense to continue to diversify. The guys will still come, but you want their girlfriends to keep coming as well. I mean, I can't get to them all...

And as Catt said, if I'm entertained, I'll be happy. However, they do need to be really careful not to alienate their core audience like Marvel the publisher did. No more scenes like that fucking cringe scene at the end of Endgame. It was just so forced and obvious. It ripped me out of my immersion in the movie. That scene was as forced as diversity is these days.

That all being said, the video Gordo posted was dead on fucking accurate and funny.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I def want a nerve damaged superhero with a goofy walk, so I can finally identify with a character.