NBCU Streaming Service

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by Leisher »

NBC pulling The Office from Netflix for its own upcoming streaming service.

A twist on this one: If you have cable, it's free. If you don't, it's subscription based.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by GORDON »

Well, I guess it was nice for a couple years having an alternative to cable. Back to Plex for me, probably.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by TheCatt »

I pay for Youtube.TV, which I have NBC through, so am I included in free?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by GORDON »

We have CBS, but not the star trek show on CBS All Access. I assumed that would be the same thing.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Well, I guess it was nice for a couple years having an alternative to cable. Back to Plex for me, probably.
GORDON
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by GORDON »

Yup.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by TheCatt »

NBC Universal calls their streaming service penis Peacock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tu_MuIGgqA
Vince

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by Vince »

I think it's kind of funny that people are realizing the pros of the bundled channels of cable even before a large number of streaming services have gone online.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by GORDON »

I am looking forward to pirating the Peacock exclusive content.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: I think it's kind of funny that people are realizing the pros of the bundled channels of cable even before a large number of streaming services have gone online.
Right? I've been telling people for years that they're going to miss cable. Now here we are and people are bitching about all of these streaming services.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by GORDON »

It's one thing to never have a service in the first place, then Netflix comes along and has a great product.

And then a bunch of copycats say "Hey I want some of that pie" and fucks everything up. It's a justified anger, losing something that was finally what people wanted.
Vince

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote:And then a bunch of copycats say "Hey I want some of that pie" and fucks everything up. It's a justified anger, losing something that was finally what people wanted.
I'd say the problem isn't that they're losing what they wanted. I think they're mad because they were lying about what they wanted. The argument was, "Why am I paying all this money for all these channels and I don't even want to watch most of them?"

That was a lie. Now they have the opportunity to pay for only the services (channels) that they want and they're complaining about it. Why? Because it's going to cost as much as the cable that they were bitching about before. That was their real complaint. Soon they will look at cable as the great value for the money because you get all these channels that you don't even have time to watch.

The problem is they got exactly what they said they wanted.
GORDON
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by GORDON »

I disagree. Everybody already got CBS, paid for by ad revenue. People lived with that system for decades. Then CBS made a new STar Trek, and for the first time didn't make it available on CBS. They put it on their pay system, which was never what I wanted.

Now it will be the same for NBC. Why even continue broadcasting over the air? They clearly think they have a better business model, now.

Just about everything was available on Netflix, under one roof, for one price. Now, network by network, content is being pulled from Netflix for their own broadcast streams. There is no way this was ever what everyonbe wanted, because as everyone is pointing out, we're getting right back to cable and paying $10 per month for 12 episodes of the only show they wanted to watch on it.

And they are free to do with their content what they want, and not allow Netflix, with their gigantic membership base, to pay them for their content.

And I will happily pirate, and they won't get a portion of the money I pay for Netflix. They can play their games, and I will play mine.

I have a hunch that, ultimately, they'll make less. Netflix was covering all the network infrastructure, and just paying the content creators a flat rate for their content. Now CBS and NBC have to build their own Netflix, and hope they get enough subscribers to pay for the extra infrastructure, and hope their product is good enough to make people forget they used to be able to watch Friends and The Office as part of their Netflix plan. I have a hunch they'd have made more money staying on 'Flix.
Vince

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by Vince »

I just like that this actually removes the local monopolies from the equation as compared to local cable. I think the broadcasters have been losing ad revenue. Used to be that Nielsen only counted live broadcasts viewed. Don't know if that's still true, but still part of the issue as people FF through commercials on shows they record. I don't stream anything, so I don't care.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by TheCatt »

I want everything through a single interface, on-demand, with infinite history. I want to be able to pause anything I'm watching, resume as I like. And fuck commercials.
GORDON
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by GORDON »

Plex, for all your viewing needs, at a great price.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Plex, for all your viewing needs, at a great price.
Well, it doesn't do live sports.
GORDON
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by GORDON »

All my viewing needs.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: Well, I guess it was nice for a couple years having an alternative to cable. Back to Plex for me, probably.
Bump
GORDON
Site Admin

NBCU Streaming Service

Post by GORDON »

Yeah but mine had some commentary. Value added.