Dragged Across Concrete (2018)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Dragged Across Concrete (2018)

Post by Leisher »

Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn star as suspended cops whose real world problems require them to look for some outside compensation.

The same guy that wrote and directed Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99 wrote and directed this one too. So expect the same slow pace and character driven story. Oh, and ultra quick bouts of violence with lots of gore. I think that's one of my favorite things about Zahler's work. The violence is over really fast and very realistic.

I won't fill you in on the plot details so you can avoid any spoilers.

The characters are well done for those they want you to care about. I think Vaughn got the shaft with the worst written main character, but he was the star of one of the other movies, so he already got his moment. Actually, let me take it back. The villains got the least amount of backstory and that is a shame because they were legit interesting.

Everyone brings their acting A game.

I think my biggest criticism of the film is that soooooo much time is spent on menial moments instead. Do I need to actually experience the boredom of a stakeout? Did I really need the, admittedly well done, build up for Jennifer Carpenter's character? So much time is spent with nothing happening, but I guess it works. It helps to build the characters Zahler wants you to be focused upon. Still, it leaves you wanting more. I really wanted to know more about the villains, particularly the one guy I thought was Jackie Earl Haley (it's not).

If you liked Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99, you should enjoy this movie as well.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”