I Am Mother (2019)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

I Am Mother (2019)

Post by Leisher »

Netflix

Post extinction of mankind. A daughter is born and the sole survivor of humanity. She's born inside a very modern facility and a robot is there to tend to her needs. However, the girl grows up dreaming of the outside world. From there, well, curiosity killed the cat.

This was good. It's probably my favorite Netflix exclusive movie.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

I Am Mother (2019)

Post by Troy »

Spoilers!

Really liked it - good robot science fiction.

I think they could have done a little better with the collective intelligence side of the AI. Good job keeping the tension - I was undecided all the way to the reveal. It may have been I wanted to believe.

I think I've got the implied timeline right:
1) humans have made bad decisions in this universe and have to design and create an extinction vault
2)the powerful robot created to "save humans" inside the vault goes sentient and Mother is born
3) Mother's consciousness takes over all other robots and begins eliminating humans
4) Mother does the extinction event and starts working on 2nd gen humans

APX 3 is the chosen one. APX 1 is the older woman and a test for APX 3 which she passed, APX 2 was not viable

Nobody being anywhere was accidental, it was all Mother.
Troy

I Am Mother (2019)

Post by Troy »

Oh and I may not be a medical doctor but that's definitely how you give a baby tinnitus.
Leisher
Site Admin

I Am Mother (2019)

Post by Leisher »

Spoilers continuing
Troy wrote: APX 1 is the older woman
She wasn't APX 1. However, she was a variable that Mother intentionally let survive. I think the end signified that Mother was in control the whole time, and that was the result she wanted. Thus, she had no use for her anymore.

I'm also pretty sure Mother terminated humanity. She was created to save it, and she realized the only way to do so was to destroy it and then recreate it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

I Am Mother (2019)

Post by GORDON »

Really liked it.

I.dont think Swank was APX1, but just a survivor left around as a test for Daughter .... To.see if she was ready to take charge, and take on the mantle of Mother.

"Until now."

Pretty cold.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

I Am Mother (2019)

Post by GORDON »

Having thought about it for a day, I do now agree that APX1 was Hillary swank, and Mother put her out in the world on purpose.

WHich makes what ultimately happened EXTRA cold.

I also think APX3 isn't the "Better, moral human" Mother thinks she is. Daughter specifically said, "I know how to handle Mother." I think her personality test answers were always what Mother wanted to hear, not how Daughter actually felt.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."