Terminator: Dark Fate

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The franchise went so down hill we didn't even bother making a thread about it...

But the Terminator himself posted a trailer on reddit, and it turned into an impromptu "as me anything." Pretty neat.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comment ... e_trailer/
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrl POWER!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Did you watch this last night, too?
GORDON wrote: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrl POWER!
Confirmed. Women are bad ass, gorgeous, mentally strong, and can almost do anything a guy can do. However, take the average guy and the average girl and make them fist fight. Nobody is betting on the girl. So when you give me augmented woman from the future, future leader, and mom with a vengeance, I can buy it to a point. However, I can almost guarantee the three female leads are why this movie bombed. Sorry Hollywood, but the audience for Sci-Fi action is men. Who are they supposed to relate to here?

I dug the first half of the movie, but holy shit did the wheels fall off in a big way. Once the Terminator magically teleported ahead of the good guys on their way to the border my suspension of disbelief was gone. (And the way he figured out where they were going was also horseshit.) From that point the movie goes from interesting to completely ridiculous. The less said about the plane and the underwater stuff the better. Holy shit did ALL of that just suck. And I don't know why Hollywood can't hire a single military expert during the construction of the script to explain why almost everything in this film would never happen, I will never understand.

Let's now discuss the problem with the Rev 9 Terminator. You know why Marvel killed off Phoenix in the books back in the 80s? She was too powerful. Essentially, she became a dues ex machina for every situation and enemy. She became impossible to write around. She always had to be incapacitated prior to all events or people would questions why she didn't just do ________ to end the situation. To give you a humorous slant to this issue with insanely powerful characters, watch this:
https://youtu.be/prRySgsgtnM

The Rev 9 should have won the day almost immediately. He's entirely too powerful. At any point he could have turned his body into spears and stabbed the augmented lady a thousand times whenever they were in hand to hand combat. Ditto for Linda Hamilton who was WAY too invincible in this film. She's a 60 or 70 year old woman, not Wonder Woman. The Rev 9's level of social ability would also shift depending on the situation, which was weird and inconsistent. Oh yeah, and the "best of both worlds" design is such a cheap shitty copout.

Another problem: At what point will the AI change tactics? When will it get its W.H.O.P.R. moment of Tic Tac Toe? Ok, one leader is dead, but here comes another! Maybe learn that no matter what the humans are going to resist? So why bother continuing to go back to kill one person or another? Why continue attempting the same tactic over and over and over again? It doesn't work! Do something else! And it's an AI, would an AI constantly attempt something that didn't work the first and second time?

Now let's discuss time travel. So Sarah Conner stopped the other timeline. Great! So without all that stuff from the original attempt, how in the fuck did this new timeline start so quickly? I mean the new leader isn't years away from the resistance, she's like 5 minutes away. WTF? I mean it's seriously a matter of months from Armageddon. And how does a Terminator age?

It had moments early, but overall it completely sucked.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Another problem: At what point will the AI change tactics? When will it get its W.H.O.P.R. moment of Tic Tac Toe? Ok, one leader is dead, but here comes another! Maybe learn that no matter what the humans are going to resist? So why bother continuing to go back to kill one person or another? Why continue attempting the same tactic over and over and over again? It doesn't work! Do something else! And it's an AI, would an AI constantly attempt something that didn't work the first and second time?
The Terminator TV series with Cersei Lannister covered that angle VERY well. At this point we just have to accept that every time time travel happens, it creates a new timeline, every single time. Up to and including different John Conners (different actors) being born because Sarah dropped a different egg that month and a different sperm tapped it. Also kinda lame it wipes out the triumph to the second movie, immediately. Alien 3 all over again, but at least they waited a couple decades to shit on it this time.

And yep, Plexed it last night. All my settings for streaming were correct... I wonder if we were streaming at the same time. I had a perfect viewing. I was watching between 6 and... 10ish. I had to keep pausing for interruptions.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

As far as I'm concerned, T1 and T2 are the franchise. The rest have all sucked.
GORDON wrote: And yep, Plexed it last night. All my settings for streaming were correct... I wonder if we were streaming at the same time. I had a perfect viewing. I was watching between 6 and... 10ish. I had to keep pausing for interruptions.
I watched it from 11:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m., however I was watching Parasite when you were watching this turd.