Long Shot (2019)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Long Shot (2019)

Post by Leisher »

Seems like a rom-com with more adult jokes. Occurring in the political world, I wonder how much preaching will be included?

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Longshot

Post by Vince »

I was hoping for a Marvel Longshot.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Long Shot

Post by TheCatt »

Charlize Theron is Sec'y of State, and Seth Rogen is a reporter in this romantic comedy.

It's crude. So crude that an elderly couple walked out about 15 minutes in, and never came back.

Pitched as a Pretty Woman in reverse. Theron is the powerful woman, Rogen is the unpowerful male. It was cute, it was funny, it was crude (did I mentioned crude?). My wife enjoyed it, I enjoyed it. It's predictable, but again, it's a rom-com, so... duh.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Long shot

Post by Leisher »

Seth Rogan is a journalist who quits his paper after media mogul Rupert Murdoch...I mean, someone that is clearly supposed to be Rupert...buys it. He's now feeling down when he runs into a childhood friend, the insanely gorgeous Charlize Theron, who also happens to be Secretary of State. She hires him to be her head writer and the romcom begins.

There are some legit chuckles.

There are also political jokes, and your enjoyment will depend on whether or not you can see them picking on both sides, or just your side. They clearly mock Fox News, but it's a single joke done 4-5 times in 5 second scenes. Theron is SoS for an incompetent and corrupt president, so he's got to be a Dem. Plus, he's a former actor, so there might even be a shot at Hollywood there? I know you think Reagan, but you need to see how this guy is portrayed, he's very much a modern Hollywood type. Also, do you remember when Family Guy did the episode where, I think it was Quagmyre, completely annihilated Brian and his political views? It was like a 5 minute rant destroying Brian's left wing platform of inaction. This really isn't a spoiler in the slightest, but something like that happens here to Seth's very all or nothing left wing character.

I truly don't think the politics here will turn anyone off, but the female empowerment stuff might. There's no "all the chicks happen to be here" moment like in Endgame, but the SoS is a woman planning to run for president, which would mean Seth would be the first mister. But they don't hammer it, so it works.

For the main story line, the casting choices might be genius. Charlize embodies that super hot woman we see with some pudgy loser looking fellow. Her and Seth have zero chemistry, but somehow that works here. Her assistants are pretty well cast too. The female one is hilarious and subtly holds her own on the attractiveness scale.

I didn't hate it, and actually came out of it crushing on Theron.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Long shot

Post by TheCatt »

Merged mine in.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Long Shot (2019)

Post by GORDON »

I liked it. I actually found it less predictable... at one point Seth sees Furiosa dancing with the PM of Canada, and I told me kid, "Here's where he gets jealous and screws things up." But they didn't go that route, which was refreshing.

My kid was laughing so hard he was choking, during some of the "cruder" video scenes.

I paused it in the middle and asked google how old Charlize was, because I've been seeing her in shit for 20 years and she still looks 25. My kid was shocked to hear she was 44.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."