The Basement (2018)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Basement (2018)

Post by Leisher »

Currently on Netflix

A serial killer is on the loose in...I forget where the movie is set...and a famous musician husband runs out to get his wife some more champagne. While out he becomes a victim of said serial killer, but not right away. First he faces hours or days of torture (the timeline is a bit unclear) as the killer makes him role play the killer's potential life.

Believe it or not, the acting isn't terrible. Mischa Barton (a "name", but I don't know her) gets top billing, but is only in it for probably 10 minutes of screen time. Also, I honestly think her scenes are the most poorly acted. Not sure why she did this film, but it's pretty obvious she wasn't trying or she's just a bad actor? I know she's proud of her sexuality as her best scenes were when she had her tits hanging out.

The film is carried by the two male leads. The victim, imho, does a good job. The killer I don't believe matches the victim's performance. To be fair, he isn't given awesome dialogue to work with here. In fact, it could be argued that he's nothing more than a prop for the victim's performance.

I've seen lots of peeps bitching that it's really boring, and I get that. I think folks who tune in for a "horror" are going to be bored by a movie that mostly takes place in a single room, and only really has four actors.

The true criticism should be for the story. It completely falls apart at the end. I'm certain the filmmakers thought "This is going to blow their minds!", but it's predictable, it shreds the rest of the story to pieces, it makes characters looks stupid, and it involves a bit of lying to the audience.

I give them an A+ for effort, I really do, but this is probably a skip it unless you're a psychological thriller fan and are curious.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”