The Oath (2018)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Oath (2018)

Post by Leisher »

Ike Barinholtz wrote, directed, and stars in this politically inspired comedy(?).

The entire movie takes place in Ike's house where he lives with his wife (Tiffany Haddish) and his daughter. In their world the president has told everyone to sign a loyalty oath by Black Friday of the following year. Well, it's a year later and Ike is a huge anti-oath activist and his family is coming to Thanksgiving. Meanwhile, there are protests around the country and the CPU (think Browncoats) are out enforcing the oath.

I guess Ike wanted to make a movie to showcase the political divide in the U.S. and get people to laugh. It's just that the movie really isn't funny. It doesn't "pick sides" either, but more leans into the stereotypes of each side. I did laugh at one sight gag late, but other than that, there isn't a ton of humor. In fact, there's a moment that happens about halfway through the movie that removes all humor from the film. You then get a massive scene where I think the intent was to be slapstick funny, but it's not even remotely funny at any point.

It's not offensively bad, but it definitely isn't good.

Skip it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”