Sherlock Holmes

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Sherlock Holmes

Post by GORDON »

Robert Downey Jr, 2009.

It seemed like a cromulently made movie, but I didn't dig it. Took me three sittings to make it through.

Plot synopsis: Sherlock Holmes solves a case and sets up a sequel.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Sherlock Holmes

Post by GORDON »

I think I know what is bugging me about it, overall:

Holmes is supposed to be brilliant, but shouldn't we enjoy the journey of his brilliant deductions, from the clues he collects? We weren't really allowed to enjoy that journey. The clues were, generally, so fucking exotic that they may as well have been made up... "This plant from the south shore of that river in Turkey that has paralytic properties when reduced." I mean... yeah. Obviously that's what that plant leaf was. I totally called it.

I get that he thinks fast. I was willing to believe that he could observe one physical trait of an opponent, and instantly plan and execute the next 5 (1800s England) krav maga moves. Fine.

And then he fights Pierre the Giant, and it's just "try to hit this guy with heavy stuff a lot."

This movie may have made money, but I didn't dig it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Sherlock Holmes

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: It seemed like a cromulently made movie, but I didn't dig it. Took me three sittings to make it through.
Can't believe we don't have a thread for this, but I had the same viewing experience as you.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Sherlock Holmes

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: It seemed like a cromulently made movie, but I didn't dig it. Took me three sittings to make it through.
Can't believe we don't have a thread for this, but I had the same viewing experience as you.
I did make an effort to look. I found references here and there, but no thread.
Leisher
Site Admin

Sherlock Holmes

Post by Leisher »

I looked too. Found nothing.

I think perhaps it bored me so much, and took so many viewings to get through that I never wrote one.

The only memory I have of that film is Downey fighting some big guy and hitting him with a wrench.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”