Veronica Mars (2014)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Veronica Mars (2014)

Post by Leisher »

I have never seen a single episode of the TV show, but was aware of its existence. There are definitely plot points or comments that would have hit harder with me if I had knowledge of the show, but the movie is completely watchable without it.

Kristen Bell is Veronica Mars, daughter of private investigator and possibly former sheriff, Keith Mars. She is a prime candidate to become a lawyer in one of NY's top law firms. However, a childhood friend is murdered and another is the one accused of doing it. Thus, she heads home to see if she can help out. (Apparently, the TV show has her as a Nancy Drew type...)

First and foremost, I'm certain they just dug up all the folks who were on the show, but the biggest disconnect for me was her former lover. He just didn't work. He does not come off as manly and is rather unattractive. Meanwhile, her fiance, who is a bit better looking, is clearly a child and you have a hard time believing this incredible woman would saddle herself with such a person. Sometimes casting folks who are young doesn't work out later on in a show's life. (Examples: the youngest kid in Family Ties, Modern Family, and Home Improvement. All got really ugly.)

Anyway, it seems like they just rehashed the plot of the TV show and made a longer episode. I guess that's exactly what fans of the show would want, so cool?

Jerry O'Connell plays the new town sheriff and he's dirty as fuck. Blatantly so. Like ridiculously so over the top dirty that the feds would be investigating. It's also never super clear who is paying the bills or why because it really doesn't tie into the main story. This is actually the weakest part of the movie.

Overall, it was fine. If you're a fan of the show, you should love it. If not, like me, it's fine, but nothing you ever need to see.

Yes, Dax Shepard makes a cameo.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Veronica Mars (2014)

Post by TheCatt »

I watched the first ep of the show at some point. Aside from seeing KRisten Bell, who is hot, it was just OK.
It's not me, it's someone else.