The Monster (2016)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Monster (2016)

Post by Leisher »

Netflix

A single mother and her young daughter have a terrible relationship. Mom is an alcoholic and the daughter has had to mature to take care of her. Now mom is driving her kid to the girl's dad knowing she will never return. That's when they hit something on a backwoods road breaking their car and shit goes from bad to worse.

Remember Cujo? This is Cujo except with a monster instead of a rabid dog, and flashbacks detailing the relationship between the mom and daughter.

It's a tough watch. The shit the daughter deals with won't give you happy vibes. It's bad. I had a cousin who lived this life, so it hits home a bit closer for me. The girl is such a good actress that it really hammers the point home. The mom is really good in her role too. She'd give Casey Anthony a run for her money.

Some will be turned off by the flashbacks as they do occur pretty randomly. In fact, it's the weakest part of the movie. I get what they were going for, showcasing the bond between the two ladies, and giving the monster a bit of meaning by showing how mom herself was a monster.

The other criticism I have is casting. Both girls do an amazing job, but their ages are a bit too close. Did mom have this girl when she was 6?

The monster was cool, but they definitely had it act with intelligence and sadism. However, they did so inconsistently, which will hurt your immersion in the grand finale.

This was a pretty good movie with a few flaws. If you enjoyed Cujo, you should enjoy this film.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”