Friend Request (2016)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Friend Request (2016)

Post by Leisher »

Netflix

A group of friends, shockingly without a token black friend (they make up for it with a Latino guy and his fat girlfriend), are attending college and being normal kids. Then one of them does a nice thing and befriends the school weirdo. Soon her friends and societal pressure forces her to exclude the weirdo from a dinner, and the weirdo responds with insanity leading to suicide. That's when the nice girl's friends start getting murdered and the nice girl being framed as a weirdo herself.

Despite the classification as a slasher movie, this is not a slasher movie. This is a supernatural movie. In other words, there are no rules for the villain, which makes for lazy storytelling and piss poor actions by all the victims. Although, I will give them credit for one thing that I don't recall seeing in one of these movies previously. One of the friends, knowing they're marked for death, realizes the curse ends if the person cursed is dead... That was a cool little twist, although they ruin that too.

There's also a huge logic hole in how friends work. Someone going to college in another city can lose every friend there, but they would still have friends back home and family. That's important due to the plot and the villain's motivation.

If you like supernatural stuff, you might enjoy it. Or if you're a teen. I thought it was lame.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”