IO: Last on Earth (2019)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yay Netflix!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Huh? Oh shit! Sorry, I was just thinking about this movie.

Margaret Qualley and Anthony Mackie star as the last people on Earth after pollution has killed everything (the air is poison). Qualley and her dad, Danny Huston, stuck around, as did Mackie, and I guess some others? The story is kind of ambiguous about that. See, they're scientists trying to introduce life back to Earth or save it. Both Qualley and Mackie are harboring secrets though.

Oh, did I mention the single most interesting parts of the plot? See, humans have traveled to IO, one of Jupiter's moons and are living in a space station in orbit there. They're also planning to head out to Alpha Centari B to explore it as a new home. And don't worry about the Earth folks as they have a spaceship to join up with the others.

All awesome! Unfortunately, you see NONE of any of that. You just hear about it. All the tech in this film is exactly what we have now. Except radios or other means of communication, except space email! See, Qualley can send emails back and forth with her lover, Tom Payne who is orbiting IO, but she has no idea if anyone else is alive on Earth.

Thankfully, they move the very boring plot along with really, really dull speeches that go nowhere. If you got someone high and asked them about love or what life is, I imagine you'd get the same answers here.

It's an awful, awful movie, and I don't know who does the purchasing and/or green lighting at Netflix, but they need to be fired.

The sole redeeming thing about this movie is that it ends.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:
How do you watch so many terrible movies and not get brain aneurysms? When movies are this bad I just turn the fuckers off.

The Solo Movie for example. Rented, didn't even make it through the dumb chase scene.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote:
Leisher wrote:
How do you watch so many terrible movies and not get brain aneurysms? When movies are this bad I just turn the fuckers off.

The Solo Movie for example. Rented, didn't even make it through the dumb chase scene.
I thought it was OK. (Solo)

But I mostly only watch TV + Movies while biking, so I need something that's just good enough to make the biking easier.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Solo was good. You should have stuck with it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

What Catt said. Usually, I'm not just sitting there watching the movie. Unless it grabs my attention. Typically, I'm gaming at the same time.

Plus, I have had movies that I wasn't enjoying whose endings completely turned things around. I give the filmmakers their entire movie so when I judge it, I do so having seen everything.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”