Signs - Shyamalan

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
thibodeaux

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote: Don't argue with my memory when I watched it last night.
Oh, also, the alien RF signals could be picked up over the baby monitor. Demons aren't usually depicted with hands-free headsets.
That’s why I asked if you were sure. They didn’t SHOW spaceships. Also...the baby monitor could have just been noise and their imagination.

Look, believe what you want. If you think it’s aliens, then the movie is retarded. If you think it’s demons...then it’s not quite as retarded. It’s in fact an almost clever story about regaining faith and...confronting your demons.
thibodeaux

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by thibodeaux »

And I’ll admit I thought it was aliens when I watched it. Wasn’t til a long time later I saw the demon theory and it made a lot of sense
GORDON
Site Admin

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by GORDON »

Maybe/ Is there more the theory that the two lines you said?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by GORDON »

And again, just because we saw one get killed with water, that doesn't mean they didn't snatch millions of humans before they left. Their plan didn't necessarily fail, because they were in a hostile environment. I'm sure they weren't caught by surprise by "water."
Cakedaddy

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by Cakedaddy »

So that house was full of holy water? They were drinking holy water?
thibodeaux

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by thibodeaux »

Cakedaddy wrote: So that house was full of holy water? They were drinking holy water?
Yes. Because the little girl was very righteous or innocent or something.
thibodeaux

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote: Maybe/ Is there more the theory that the two lines you said?
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comm ... r/c4ubvmy/
When I first saw this film, I didn’t realize that it wasn’t about aliens at all. It’s about the return of demons. Notice it’s all about a priest’s resurgence of belief, and a preordained moment of redemption-if-dared-and-attempted. There is no alien technology or weaponry or clothing of any kind, only a clawed, naked beast creature and lights in the sky.

Furthermore: The running joke throughout the movie is that people see these “invaders” in a way that’s related to their particular frame of mind: The cop sees them as prankster kids, the bookstore owners see them as “a hoax to sell commercials,” the Army recruitment officer sees them as invading military, the kids see them as UFOs…and the priest sees them as test of faith. This understanding of the film removed my hatred of the “You’ve got to be kidding me; they were killed by WATER!” concept. In fact, the priest’s daughter had been referred to as “holy” (as revealed during Mel’s key monologue)–recognized by all who saw her at her birth as “an Angel;” and her quite particular relationship to water is shown to be very special and spiritual: In other words, she has placed vials of what are, essentially, HOLY WATER all around the house. (And the creature’s reaction when coming in contact with this blessed liquid is EXACTLY like monsters/vampires being splashed by spiritual “acid.”)

This view of the movie also explains the creature’s actions: They act like superior tricksters, are not able to break in through closed doors, can be trapped behind simple wooden latches –all mythological elements of demons and vampire-like creatures of lore. It also explains the news over the radio at the end of the movie that an ancient method of killing the creatures has been found “in three small cities in the Middle East” –one would suspect the religious “hubs” of the three main Abrahamic traditions, each discovering the “mystic methods” of protection-and-dispatch that I’ve noted earlier.

Note also: All the Christian iconography throughout the movie, the references to “Signs and Wonders” (the true meaning of the title), the crucifix shapes hinted-at everywhere (check out the overhead shot, looking down on the street driving into town) and the ultimate fact that the entire movie is built around a Priest rediscovering he is not abandoned to a random, Godless, scientifically-oriented Universe but, rather, is part of a predicted and dreamed-of plan.

Now –these creatures may for all intents and purposes be some sort of extraterrestrial or inter-dimensional “aliens” –but the point of the movie seems to be that they are, in the ACTUALITY OF THE FILM WORLD, the dark stuff from which all the character’s tales of devils and night-creatures were born.
Vince

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by Vince »

I like that. Makes much more sense.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by Leisher »

But is that just fan theory or what Shyamalan has confirmed to be the point of the movie?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by GORDON »

I'll think about it.
Vince

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by Vince »

Also, the "swing away" seems less out of place with a near death connection if the visitors are supernatural rather than alien.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by GORDON »

True.
Leisher
Site Admin

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by Leisher »

Again, if M. Night has said they're aliens, they're aliens. Fan theories don't matter.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by Troy »

I do like the demon theory but it doesn’t explain the dead bird.
GORDON
Site Admin

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by GORDON »

If we're already ignoring the lights as "not necessarily spaceships," then the bird doesn't matter. Could be anything.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: If we're already ignoring the lights as "not necessarily spaceships," then the bird doesn't matter. Could be anything.
It probably had a heart attack.
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Signs - Shyamalan

Post by thibodeaux »

Read a biblical description of a close encounter with angels.

“ I looked, and I saw a windstorm coming out of the north—an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. The center of the fire looked like glowing metal, 5 and in the fire was what looked like four living creatures. In appearance their form was human, 6 but each of them had four faces and four wings. 7 Their legs were straight; their feet were like those of a calf and gleamed like burnished bronze. ”

What are demons but fallen angels? Just sayin, lights in the sky could be spaceships, or it could be a portal to hell. Just be careful.