Violent (2014)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Violent (2014)

Post by Leisher »

(Subtitles warning. And it's really odd here. There's one person that speaks English 100% of the time. Another time two people decide to speak English for no reason. Was there a third language being spoken that I missed?)

An independent film made by some up and coming Canadian filmmakers, and shot in Norway.

The story is about a young woman's who is about to die, and the relationships she had with five people before she goes. The film starts off with her death, which isn't particularly violent, at least not how you're thinking. In fact, you don't actually see her die. Later in the film, the English speaker has a conspiracy theory that seems to explain what happens. (Hint: And I only put this in because none of you will ever see this movie...think Chernobyl.)

The young woman in the lead role, Dagny Backer Johnsen, is awesome and makes the film. However, being a character piece, it's not an exceptional story. In fact, the story reeks of the ignorance and lack of wisdom of youth. Maybe that's the point? I doubt it since the filmmakers were obviously young themselves.

It is a beautifully shot movie, although it tends to get a bit too artsy for its own good from time to time.

Not a waste of time, but definitely won't be most people's cup of tea. I didn't hate watching it, but I could have never seen it and been happy.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”