Us (2019)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Us (2019)

Post by Leisher »

Jordan Peele's latest. Doesn't look like whitey is the bad guy this time.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Us (2019)

Post by Leisher »

For the past several weeks I have been wondering if "Us" is going to be some subtle message about black people losing their identity or culture in white America. No idea if the message would be negative or positive. I was never going to express this concern/thought publicly, but Jordan Peele changed my mind today.

Jordan Peele isn't going to cast a white guy as a lead in his movies.

You can make 100 movies and never cast a white guy as your lead, but that wouldn't mean you're a racist. Coming out and saying it, that's racist. Same thing as when John Thompson said he'd never give a scholarship to a white player at Georgetown. Bigotry is bigotry no matter your reasons.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Us (2019)

Post by GORDON »

Saw.that earlier. I made the conscious choice to not give another dollar to a racist.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Us (2019)

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Us (2019)

Post by Leisher »

Ha!

That's hilarious. A ridiculous oversimplification of the issue that ignores everything, but hilarious nonetheless.
Vince

Us (2019)

Post by Vince »

I don't plan to see it. Not because of no white people, but because a lot of people say it's so bad they're wondering if Peele's just trolling us.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Us (2019)

Post by Leisher »

I need a meme of black people demanding more representation in films and awards made by other races, while also refusing to cast other races in their films and holding awards shows only for black people.
Leisher
Site Admin

Us (2019)

Post by Leisher »

Saw it. It's not great.

Positives first: There are some genuinely freaky things here and there. The acting is solid. The direction is good.

Negatives: The story is a complete mess. The logistics of it all simply don't work. I think Peele didn't expect Get Out to do so well, so he was forced to rush a follow up and it shows. He didn't have time to think this one through. Science is right out the fucking window. There's inconsistencies in how characters act and the rules of this world. The twist is blatantly obvious from the start. There's a visual thing late in the film that is supposed to be important, but it's without logic and ultimately ignored.

Racism or not, Get Out was a great film. This movie...not so much.

Us is like The Purge mixed with The Invitation starring the smart zombies from Land of the Dead (without zombies, you'll get that when you see it).

Is it worth seeing? I guess once for free, but it's a deeply flawed movie. There's a reason this got zero buzz.