Drag Me To Hell (2009)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Drag Me To Hell (2009)

Post by Leisher »

Yay my buddy's HBOGo account!

Christine Brown (Alison Lohman) is a bank loan manager who is vying for an assistant manager job. During the home stretch for it, she denies a home loan extension to a gypsy woman. The gypsy woman gets revenge by cursing Christine to be dragged to hell in three days. Justin Long plays Christine's love interest.

This movie was partially discussed in this other thread.

While watching this film I was thinking, "What the fuck is going on? Why is this so hilarious at moments and gross in others." So I looked at IMDB real quick, and thought, "OH! It's a Sam Raimi film..."

I'm guessing the whole intent here was to create a new Evil Dead this time featuring a female Ash. The film is filled with Raimi trademarks. The weird camera angles and closeups, a hilarious fight scene, a floating possessed person right out of Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, really gross shit, and so on. There's even a shot of Alison Lohman with her arm up coming out of the ground ala Ash doing the same pose.

Let me talk about Alison for a moment. She's a pretty girl, and is clearly rocking a great body, but there are moments when she looks like a thin Amy Schumer and it's really off putting. I mean, extremely distracting.

Overall, I thought the movie was fun. It's nowhere near the level of Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness, but its worth a viewing one time.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”