The Crazies (1973)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Crazies (1973)

Post by Leisher »

I've been curious about this movie for years. Both after seeing the remake and because it's a Romero film.

Romero will always be a legend for bringing us modern day zombies, but I think the body of his work is vastly overrated. Aside from Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead (both he wrote) and Creepshow (he didn't write), the rest of his movies, in a word, suck.

The dialogue for his films is typically awful and full of very unsubtle political nonsense. Beyond that, and this may be a product of the times, his direction is typically not great.

That is fully on display here. This movie is bad even by 1973 standards. I mean, The Godfather was released in 1972 and The Godfather II in 1974. So there is no excuse for the crap in this movie.

The acting is ridiculously bad. Not a single name or face I recognized.

The story is just crap. It's like having someone tell you a story without context for most of the details. It's super boring too. Crazy in 1973 just isn't that crazy. There's no sense of anything epic, and everything military in the movie is complete shit. I have to assume Romero hates the military because he gives it no respect in his films. From the music to the methods, it's a complete shitshow lacking in any reality. The gun fights alone were probably choreographed by the Three Stooges.

The premise is interesting despite being a different take on zombies, but the execution is horrendous.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”