Holmes & Watson

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Holmes & Watson

Post by Leisher »

Looks meh.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Holmes & Watson

Post by TheCatt »

Oh good, those two people screaming more.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Holmes & Watson

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Holmes & Watson

Post by Vince »

Comedy has gotten a lot harder since no one can take a joke anymore.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Holmes & Watson

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Comedy has gotten a lot harder since no one can take a joke anymore.
Probably doesn't belong in this thread, explicitly, but....

Guy literally calls 911 because he cannot take a comedian's joke.
An audience member at one of his recent shows called 911 to complain about one of his jokes.
Ahmed performed at Off The Hook Comedy Club in Naples, Florida on May 12. The following day, a man who said he attended the show called 911 and complained about when Ahmed asked the audience who was from the Middle East.
"And a whole bunch of people raised their hand," the caller said, according to a 911 call released by the Collier County Sheriff's Office. "And he said where are you from? I'm from Iraq, I'm from Iran. I'm from Pakistan. I'm from here, I'm from there. He said, 'That's great. We could organize our own little terrorist organization.'"
Ahmed said that the caller misquoted him.
"For the record the caller misquoted my joke. I never said, 'We can start our own terrorist organization,'" he wrote on Twitter.
The caller, who described Ahmed as Middle Eastern, said he called because the comment made him feel uncomfortable. He was concerned Ahmed would say it again at a later performance.
GORDON
Site Admin

Holmes & Watson

Post by GORDON »

You know, both Black Mirror and The Orville had episodes where "voting" on people via social media had bad consequences, sometimes.

But... what if it worked 99% of the time? What if people who were made uncomfortable at a comedy club could be downvoted to oblivion, to the extent they were RIGHTLY removed from society with the sane people?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Holmes & Watson

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: You know, both Black Mirror and The Orville had episodes where "voting" on people via social media had bad consequences, sometimes.

But... what if it worked 99% of the time? What if people who were made uncomfortable at a comedy club could be downvoted to oblivion, to the extent they were RIGHTLY removed from society with the sane people?
What if those people became numerous enough to downvote the comedian? And then, by extension, anyone who laughed?
Vince

Holmes & Watson

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: You know, both Black Mirror and The Orville had episodes where "voting" on people via social media had bad consequences, sometimes.

China is actually implementing something like this.
GORDON
Site Admin

Holmes & Watson

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:

What if those people became numerous enough to downvote the comedian? And then, by extension, anyone who laughed?
Yeah, what if.
Leisher
Site Admin

Holmes & Watson

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote:

China is actually implementing something like this.
Links please.
Vince

Holmes & Watson

Post by Vince »

GORDON
Site Admin

Holmes & Watson

Post by GORDON »

I already do online crime-stopper reports of people who speed through school zones. Gimme social media rankings and a license-plate-scanner so I can fuck people over, faster.

The only real thing that would stop me from gaming the system as hard as I could... fucking as many people over as I could... is that I would be making a world my own kid has to live in.

But I dunno.

But I really think shitty people need more consequences for being shitty.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Holmes & Watson

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I really think
Some days I'm ready to pull a Vince and just get away from it all. A lot of people are a little shitty, and that little shittyess adds up. Mostly little stuff, like the speeding in school zones, etc, level.
Leisher
Site Admin

Holmes & Watson

Post by Leisher »

This movie is exceptionally bad. It's not all bad, but it's pretty bad.

Imagine if Lloyd and Harry from Dumb and Dumber were Watson and Holmes, that's basically what you get here. None of the humor is subtle. Not even when they were taking shots at Trump (yes, in a period piece).

That aside, it's not that they're aren't laughs. It's that the story is so terrible and the characters so insanely stupid that really drags the movie down. Two grown men acting like children can work for Step Brothers, but I have trouble with "the world's greatest detective" being a bumbling idiot.

They even set it up for a sequel, which we thankfully won't get.

I guess it's worth seeing for free if you have no other options.