X-Men: Dark Phoenix

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Looks like they're trying to go the Logan route with this one.

A Dark Phoenix film without Wolverine... I guess they're not even pretending to give a fuck about the source material at this point.

Marvel can't take over fast enough.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

I don't envy the actor or decision maker on finding Hugh Jackman's replacement. With the exception of maybe Robert Downey Jr, I don't know if any actor is more tied to their Marvel character than Jackman.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Speculation:
-Looks like she kills Jennifer Lawrence/Mystique.
-The white haired girl is probably Emma Frost an evil telepath who can turn to diamond. She starts off as a baddie, but eventually turns good-adjacent and marries Scott/Cyclops after Jean dies.
-In the book, the guy who stops her is Wolverine. The whole point being that a guy whose powers are completely physical and who is in love with her has to kill someone with god-level powers. That means, she had to let him. It was a pretty powerful story and relationship in the books. I'm guessing they'll have Cyclops play that role here.
-If Sansa could wield this power, Winterfell would have no problem with winter coming.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince

Post by Vince »

Not really fired up to see this. But I have been finding myself feeling less compelled to see every comic movie now. Have't seen Black Panther and have no desire to see Captain Marvel.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This is the last FOX Marvel movie, so it's the end of an era. Thankfully!

Aside from Deadpool, the FOX mutant films were pretty shit. Not awful, with 1 or 2 exceptions (Wolverine: Origins).

And I've heard Brie Larson's done some damage to the opening projections for Captain Marvel with her bashing of men.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:
And I've heard Brie Larson's done some damage to the opening projections for Captain Marvel with her bashing of men.
Brie did some damage, and from what I've been reading in reviews the movie itself isn't great. Haven't been seeing that it was terrible, just that it was very "Meh". And apparently Rotten Tomatoes bowed to Disney and changed how they did things because of the film, which is leaving a foul taste in people's mouths.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It's not the first time RT has changed shit due to studio pressure.

Hell, most reviewers are bought and paid for or threatened with no access to new movies if they don't give good reviews.
Vince

Post by Vince »

I don't go to RT, to be honest. So I had to take it on faith that what was being said was true. Sounded about right, though.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Thank you Disney. Thank you for buying Fox so we don't have to suffer anymore of these horrendous X-Men movies.

A complete and utter suckfest.

Fox simply never understood the X-Men or its characters. The one movie they did get right, Deadpool, they were completely hands off.

They seriously have no concept of the relationships, powers, or lore. On top of that, they had random aliens show up with no backstory, no details on where they came from, and certainly no explanation of their powers. Throw their complete lack of respect for continuity and you get a total shitshow.

I don't know if it was the theater (saw Godzilla in the same theater a few weeks back without the same issue) or how the movie was edited, but the background music was insanely loud and completely destroyed any immersion. Not that I would have been into the movie anyway. The dialogue was ridiculously stupid throughout. I was actually saying lines before they were uttered as they were so cliche and predictable.

The story itself was like reading a comic, but randomly skipping frames and pages. There was no buildup to anything. The obvious death had absolutely zero emotional impact.

Fuck this movie.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Simon Kinberg falls on his sword.

Respect the shit out of him for this move.

Almost all the issues I had with the movie were the writing and direction, so I agree with him. I also appreciate him taking the blame and not throwing it back at the audience by calling them bigots, like Rian Johnson did with The Last Jedi.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Respect the shit out of him for this move.
Agree. I do think we probably owe a debt to the original X-men movie that Singer did. That was the first Super Hero movie since I think the original Superman form the '70s where they decided that they were going to do a super hero movie AS a super hero movie and treat it seriously.

I agree that Fox didn't really know what they were doing. Also, the way the licensing was done really hobbled the writers of the scripts. A lot of characters that weren't mutants but had interesting back stories suddenly had to be mutants in order to be in the stories. Same thing happened with the Fantastic Four.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Biggest box office drop for any superhero film EVAH!!

I wonder if Sophie Turner thinks audiences are being disrespectful.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

On pace to be the biggest box office bomb for superhero movies.

Well done.

Olivia Munn was frustrated that Singer and Kinberg has little knowledge of the X-Men.

This is everything wrong with Hollywood. Find fans of the material and let them create your universe/movies. As the saying goes: "Never trust a bald barber. He has no respect for your hair."

Maybe Singer should have spent less time molesting underage boys and more time reading X-Men?